Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rainydaze

Feeling POUTY?

10 posts in this topic

Have to admit having some fun catching some late night Eel pout, burbout, freshwater cod... Whatever you call them I call them a bit ugly, a bit tastey, and a lot of fun. Have caught them on L.O.T.W. and Mille Lacs with some consistency. I know there are quite a few anglers whom target these fish here on Rainy also. I recently decided to target them late night since the fishing queen and myself both like to eat them, and are having a blast catching them. I will admit I still don't really like touching them, and still think they look like giant swimming snakes,but we have been catching some monsters, and they put up quite a fight too! Just for the record Cod as well as Halibut in which are household delicacy's are darn right ugly as well. Just most people only witness the final form. For anyone whom is coming up for a trip, and doesn't know what to do with themselves when the eyes shut down. I'd suggest heading into town getting a bite to eat, and then head back out on the lake well after dark and strap yourself into your fish fighting chair! We like to boil them in sugar water letting the fish absorb some of the sweetness of the sugar, and then dipping them in either a cheese sauce, butter, of cocktail sauce. Boil them or cook them in the microwave. Microwave is nice as it will give you an end product a bit rubbery similiar to a lobster texture. Now I'm not going to go as far as to say it taste like lobster, but it isn't too bad. Any other suggestions on preparing this so called poor mans lobster?

Quote:

Have to admit having some fun catching some late night Eel pout, burbout, freshwater cod... Whatever you call them I call them a bit ugly, a bit tastey, and a lot of fun. Have caught them on L.O.T.W. and Mille Lacs with some consistency. I know there are quite a few anglers whom target these fish here on Rainy also. I recently decided to target them late night since the fishing queen and myself both like to eat them, and are having a blast catching them. I will admit I still don't really like touching them, and still think they look like giant swimming snakes,but we have been catching some monsters, and they put up quite a fight too! Just for the record Cod as well as Halibut in which are household delicacy's are darn right ugly as well. Just most people only witness the final form. For anyone whom is coming up for a trip, and doesn't know what to do with themselves when the eyes shut down. I'd suggest heading into town getting a bite to eat, and then head back out on the lake well after dark and strap yourself into your fish fighting chair! We like to boil them in sugar water letting the fish absorb some of the sweetness of the sugar, and then dipping them in either a cheese sauce, butter, of cocktail sauce. Boil them or cook them in the microwave. Microwave is nice as it will give you an end product a bit rubbery similiar to a lobster texture. Now I'm not going to go as far as to say it taste like lobster, but it isn't too bad. Any other suggestions on preparing this so called poor mans lobster?

back in the 1970's we used to catch a few on lake kabetogama and the game warden told us to throw them on shore as they were not a desirable fish crazy.gif.

HI R.D.,

GOOD POST, AND YOUR RIGHT EEL POUT/ ALSO KNOWN AS LING COD/BURBOT/LAWYER., IS EXCELLENT & EASY TO CLEAN. I LIKE TO BOIL THEM IN ALL SPICE, A CHOPPED ONION, AND A BAY LEAF. THIS ELIMANATES ALL THE OIL IN THE FISH AS THE WATER WILL TURN TO A WHITE FOAMY SUBSTANCE. ONCE THE FISH FLOATS ITS DONE, THEN IF YOU CHOOSE TO BROWN THEM IN A LITTLE BUTTER YOU CAN. AFTER THAT I DIP THEM IN COCKTAIL SAUCE.

BORBOT KILL ALOT OF WALLEYES(YES WALLEYES) THEY ARE VERY SLEEK & VERY FAST, SO THE WALLEYE DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE.

I HAVE ALWAYS DONE BEST NEAR THE BOTTOM, AND KEEP THAT GLOW JIG LITE UP., TIPPED WITH A MINNOW.

AS R.D. SAID BUCKLE UP CAUSE THEY CAN TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Anyone have a picture of this beast. I've never heard of such, but then down here in OK we have some strange critters too.

Just do a google/images search for eelpout of burbot.

They look like a Heinz 57 mut - kind of combine the worst features of a bullhead, dogfish and lamprey. I've eaten them before and they certainly taste better than they look. They are buuuuuuuuut ugly.

Oh come on guys these things are kind of cute. Name one other fish that looks like it's smiling at you smile.gif ...just before it wraps around your arm causing you to jump around the ice house screaming "get it off, get it off". shocked.gif

Okay your right that is a really ugly fish / snake / monster thing. Now what do I got to do to catch one, and can it be put on a wall. Our annual trip to the northern holy land is late august, are they bitin' that time of year and what do I use. We stay on the canadian side. It sure would be fun to put one in our local farm pond.

Hey OK,

Mostly a fish caught during the winter. I personally haven't tangled with any during the summer months, but have talked to a few whom have. Probably pretty hard to target them though. Oh by the way caught and released a 26 inch walleye tonight.

Too bad it's not a summer fish. I got a cuple of budies I could already imagine screeming "get it off, get it off". Congrats on the 26 walleye, Wish the fishing was as good down here as the football.

I hear ya - up here we wish football was as good as the fishing -:)

...at any level!