• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing with your limit

double_dog

It appears to me that you can continue fishing but the question is why not stop keeping the fish at one under your limit? It will not hurt anybody to keep five instead of six walleyes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nofishfisherman

• riverrat56

• double_dog

• Questor

I emailed the DNR and was told that you must stop when you reach your limit. But, someone else said that they also emailed the DNR and were told you did not need to stop, that catch and release after that point is fine.

Frankly, its not clearly stated any where in any regulations that I have read. So its going to be up to each individual CO I think. Since nothing is stated in the regs about it being illegal anyone ticketed for it would have a very good case to fight the ticket. Just keep a regs book with you on the boat and if a CO questions you for doing this start reading the regs and ask him to point it out to you in the book where it states this to be illegal. Make sure you do it politely and act like you just want to make sure you understand the rules for the future. I am pretty sure the CO won't find that rule in the book anywhere.

Now after saying all that, I don't really see the harm in just stop keeping fish at #5 until you are ready to go home for the day. One more fish left in the lake isn't going to hurt anything. Better safe then sorry.

I have a hard time believing that you are over your limit immediately after you catch that 7th walleye. I thought possession was defined as when the fish is placed in a bucket, livewell, cooler, or stringer. THEN it would be over the limit. I think that may have been an error on their part the way it was said.

When has C&R been fish in possession? If that were the case then everything I've ever caught at the end of my line would've been in my possesion...Now give me the World Record Crappie! 26 lbs...36 inches...Yeah, I caught it. grin.gif

Then it's like this...It's better to be on the sure side, one under. Any CO would say, you're good...but when you've limit out, then any CO that day can tell me, you get a citation...$$$ if you accept. Now I don't want to go somewhere to appeal my case, when I could be fishing...

Fish in Hand is Fish in Possession when it comes to the DNR. Simple as that, head in or chase a different species. And I would recommend a different tactic so that you don't hit anymore of the species you're full on.

Quote:

Fish in Hand is Fish in Possession when it comes to the DNR. Simple as that,

Well that mean I broke the law every single year since I started fishing. Because I apparently have had bass, walleye, and northern in possession before the season started. By that I mean I caught one while fishing for gills but did have the fish in my hand after catching it.

Oh well I guess I am just a common criminal now.

I think the DNR needs to make this rule clear to everyone since there has been so much debate about it over the years. I don't really care if it is a law or not since I rarely keep a limit but I atleast want all the rules that i am expected to follow clearly laid out for me in the regulations book.

The DNR might need to start putting a disclaimer on the front cover of the regs books in the future.

"This regulations book contains MOST of the laws pertaining to fishing in Minnesota. We reserve the right to keep a few laws secret and or vague in order to help increase revenue by allowing us to give you all tickets for breaking laws that we either don't tell you about or that are written so poorly that we ourselves can't agree upon what they mean."

It seems to me that if catching a 7th walleye even if unintentional makes one illegal then it is also required that we stop fishing period when a limit of any type of fish is in the boat. I have a hard time believing it would stand up in a court of law.

Bob

Trust me, by the same degree I would be a common criminal as well. Because I have caught bass while crappie fishing. I think, it really depends on the CO. For instance the example of hitting the double on Eyes with their limit already in the well. I guess I should restate that if you are fishing for that species, then a fish in hand is a fish in possession.

We should get a petition started that would inject some common sence into the rule book. i.e.

You can do this, this, this, this,

Can't do that, that, that, that.

On this issue, I guess you can just stop at 5 and its a non issue, but what if I want to keep 6, then try to catch some crappies and accidently catch another eye, is it illegal to even bring it in the boat? If it is that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I mean the fish just won't leave me alone, I can't help if they bite grin.gif

Also, whats everyones opinions on how the DNR can judge what you are fishing for? I personally think there are some things that imply 1 species but alot that can cross over, like a jig.

Quote:

Fish in Hand is Fish in Possession when it comes to the DNR.

I would say living fish in livewell, stringer, etc. or dead fish in livewell, stringer, cooler, freezer, etc. is having possession. Just by catching a pre-season bass or walleye while fishing crappies shouldn't make you guilty! If this were the case, we'd need the same year round season for every species.

Catching a bass while fishing for crappies before the bass season opens is NOT against the law. It's just illegal to target bass. As long as you're not targeting something out of season, that is not against the law.

Regarding the 7th walleye in hand- I think the odds are fairly slim that you are going to catch one while the CO is counting your fish. That fish would be back in the water in seconds. Even if it was technically against the law (and I'm not conceding that it is), they would have a very difficult time arguing it was against the spirit of the law. The law is in place to stop you from KEEPING too many fish.

What about tournaments such as the classic and flw and any other big televised tournaments. They catch there limits and cull fish the rest of the day. If it were illegal I am sure they wouldnt be doing it. Tournaments are not above the law so why can they do it then. Because there is no law on it. Just my .02

The tournament I just fished was very strict on this. We were told once our limit is reached we're done fishing. If we wanted to cull we had to be one fish under the limit.

I thought culling was illegal in Mn period. once you keep a fish you have to keep it. And it doesnt have to be in the live well to be kept.

That would be the entire reason that it should be illegal to keep fishing. If the boat already has 6 walleye, and they get a nice 19 1/2" fish....more than likely they will throw the 15" back to keep the bigger prize.

Personally i fish for the challenge and the excitement and cleaning is not high on my agenda...but i'm sure there are people like that out there.

I was on the phone with 2 DNR reps over this issue.

It gets tricky, because an "accidental" fish does NOT count as possesion when immediate release is eminent.

However, a "targeted" fish DOES count as possesion when a limit is obtained.

Culling is LEGAL when you do not POSSESS a legal limit, however, when targeting a species, the 10th fish in HAND says you POSSESS your limit at that moment.

At that time, you must decide to keep the fish in hand and leave, release the fish, or target a different species.

However, if you decide to keep #10 that is in hand, you can NOT cull your fish in the livewell at that point.

You would have to choose to cull your fish with 8 in the box and one in hand to legally cull under Minnesota State Laws regarding Possesion, Limits, and Culling.

Summary:

1. Non-targeted fish are considered an accidental catch.

2. You have your limit once the limit holding fish is CAUGHT.

3. If you choose to cull, it must be done 2 fish before obtaining your limit (with the 2nd to last being one that was just caught)

Furthermore, it was explained in detail that determining the "intended" species is under the sole descretion of the CO, as is all other laws and enforcement there of.

So being nice is key.

You may have very well been fishing for a Crappie with a 3/8oz spinner bait 2 weeks ago, but it really ends up in the CO's hands as to if you get cited, and ultimately, a judge is that so be the case.

I've met some really nice ones that informed me that I was uninformed on a fish in my livewell that fell in the protected slot.

The fish went overboard, and the CO said "thank you sir, have a nice day".

I can not beleive that there are 45 responses to this. IF you want to cull and keep the bigger fish do it with #9! If you just want to get 10 fish then do it! Why play stupid games and take a chance on getting a citation and fined! It's like keeping two limits because you have your kid with you who has no intrest in fishing but is allowed to have a limit of fish. To me it is just not worth taking the chance! I did not think that sportsmen and women pushed the law right out to the fuzzy limits! I don't know... Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I think it could be easily demonstrated that the concept of "holding the fish just to remove the hook consitutes possesion" is absurd.

Hmm, what if the first or second walleye I catch on Mille Lacs is 25 inches? It's not legal to possess that fish because of the slot limit; now what's a guy supposed to do?

Or to REALLY not worry about it.. I don't keep any fish. smile.gif

Duckslayer, do you drive 55? Thats the speed limit, you should only be going 54 to avoid any chance of a ticket though.

Speaking of targeting out of season fish. The occasional accidental catch is fine but if you are reasonably sure your going to continue catching an out of season species while you supposedly pursue another then you are breaking the law. Unethical too. You know who you are.

Hey duck, so if I take my 3 year old with me I can keep 2 limits then........he he just kidding......

If you have a limit of lets say Walleyes. You can still fish for Perch, Crappies or even the lowly Drum. If a walleye were to bite it would not be breaking the law....

I, myself find that fish stay much more fresh in the lake.

It makes sense to me that if you already have a limit of one species of fish ,,,continue to fish and hook another of the fish you have limited out on,,,common sense tells me to release it at the side of the boat ,,dont even net it and bring in in the boat ,,,I have to side with duckslayer here ,,,it seems greed has pushed some fisherpersons to the grey areas of the law ,,,Oh and I do drive the speed limit and get to my destination typicaly early ,,and if you are behind me ,,well thats poor planning on your part frown.gif

Good luck this opener

Randoid

So can you cull as long as you have 9 fish in a pail or 8? Not that I am a big fan of culling but I think culling should be legal even if you have a limit and the fish you release is alive.

Once a fish has been counted as part of your limit it can't be culled. That dosen't mean you can't let them all go later!

Culling IS allowed if you are under your limit. If you have 4 walleyes, and number 5 is bigger than number 4 then you can let number 4 go and keep number 5.

I wonder...do tournament fishermen/women cull and how closely are they monitored for this activity? After all, it is far more in their best interest to do so, isn't it?

Bob

Quote:

I wonder...do tournament fishermen/women cull and how closely are they monitored for this activity? After all, it is far more in their best interest to do so, isn't it?

Bob

Most bass tournaments here are two person teams and you can only weigh in 6 or 8 bass. Because there are two licensed people in the boat the tournament limit is less then the possession limit which would be 12 for the boat. So they can cull without an issue.

What I wonder is how they deal with a person that decides to fish in the tournament on his own. They must have to have rules in place that only allow 2 person teams especially if the tournament is 8 fish.

That is probably the reason why we will never see a bass tournament up here for the FLW or Bassmasters series because they fish by themselves in the boat and they wouldn't be able to cull.

I know that Wisconsin has a no cull rule for the entire state. Once it is in the live well it stays.

I would say that most bass tournaments are not team formats and they only weigh in 5 fish, the same as the FLW and Bassmasters... And with out state having a 6 fish limmit your then ok...However, in WI as stated, you are not allowed to sort/cull at all.. You decide once you catch a fish if you are going to put it in the well...