Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big musk411

Big Fork River

7 posts in this topic

This looks like a fun trip, has anyone done it before? How is the Muskie and Sturgoen fishing? Seriously thinking about this as my next canoe expedition. Any info greatly apriciated!

Thanks in advance!

might wanna put this in the Deer River/Marcel forum.

Hey Musk411-

It's a nice trip! We've gone two or three times and caught muskies to 15 or 18 lbs, walleye, and northern to 10 lbs (the northern grabbed about a 12 inch eye and held on 'til we got him in the boat). I don't know about the sturgeon.

If you have a small boat you can put in at a lot of different places starting just downstream from Bigfork. Look for where roads cross the river. It's possible with a small motor to go upstream and then float back down or if someone can pick you up downstream later that's even better.

Even without the fish biting it'd be a good trip but if you're flexible with your techniques you have a good chance of getting a few fish.

Sloopjont

Sloopjoint, good stuff! Thanks for the info! I was thinling about doing it in the canoe, but boating sounds interesting. When you say small boat, how small do you mean? I have a 16ft alumacraft with a 25hp, is this too big? Assuming some decent flow, would it work?

Sorry it took a while to reply... You'd be borderline on boat and motor size depending on the flow. I had a 14 ft alumacraft w/ 15 hp motor and it was almost too big. Having someone with to help you would be key and going upstream unless you can get a car down to the pickup point because you can almost always go downstream. Get a DNR river map and check out a good stretch to go on. If I remember right we were just downstream from the town of Bigfork but there are a lot of options!

Thanks! I have been eyeing the map on the DNR site looking at spots. I think I may be best leaving the boat at home and giving it a go in the canoe. I appriciate the info!

We took the canoes on the bigfork river a couple years back. We put in right off of hwy 1 East of Effie. We had the intentions to camp on the way down, but each site we came across was was filled with overgrown grass and misquitos. It is a very neat river however. You wouldn't have any concerns with a canoe. There were some decent rapids as well.

CA