Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazyice

4-Stroke Auger

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone have the 4-stroke auger from strikmaster? If so what do you think of it? Any problems? How is for starting in bitter cold? Any info would be awesome. I am considering one for next year and would like some feed back that isn't from the guy trying to sell it to you.

They look really sweet. I see Reeds have them on sale for $419. But you can get the 2 cycle lazer for $309 on sale at Reeds. Don't know if the price difference is worth it or not???? I'd be interested to know what someone that has one has to say about it too.

take a look at the battery power Strikemasters. I have one and love it.

The only thing I have heard about those is not many holes out of one charge. I like to move around alot until I find active fish, so it isn't uncommon for me to drill 20+ holes when I go out.

I have experience with all three of them. Here's my opinion,

Electra 7" for perm house or pull behind. Good for 12-24 holes depending on ice thickness.

2 Stroke Lazer 8" for price point & speed

4 Stroke Strikelite for its extreme light weight, but you'll have to be dilligent when hauling, due to crankcase oil draining into cylinder and out muffler if hauled with cylinder down. If you whoops, you just need to tip it cylinder up for fifteen minutes, then possibly add crankcase oil.

I made that mistake!

No matter which one you choose, it's my opinion that strikemaster augers are the best!

I agree with your last sentence. My Strikemaster mag 2000 is 15 years old. I bought it at a Walmart closeout for $100. The only thing I have ever done to it is replace the blade a couple of times. Is the 4 stroke any faster than the lazer? I'm thinking about just buying a replacement lazer auger to replace the chipper auger that I now have or maybe buying a new auger and selling my old one. What do suppose I could get out of my mag 2000?

I was also intersted in the strike lite but when I went and talked to the owner of a facility that services strikemaster augers he had many things to say about them. They are good for less than 20 inches of ice, slower than all other strikemaster augers, and he would not recomend redrilling old ice holes because many augers have come in with the plasice plades sheered or cracked off(under warranty for a year but not quality) I would buy any other auger strike master makes unless you walk long distances carrying your auger all year...just my 2 cents

I have one down here in Iowa. Bought it last year. I love the quiet motor and lightness. The oil problem is annoying. I have carried mine right and it still leaks oil some. I don't think they are that much slower and I have been on Mille Lacs with it and 24 inches of ice and we used mine and not the 2-strokes that we had with. It also is very easy starting down to 10 below and even then it starts after about ten pulls.