Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebels75

Ice Quality

5 posts in this topic

I know it's early and I know weather is in control but, we have a small group coming up to Red Lake the third full week in March. We are thinking about coming up to the river too and I was wondering if there will be any ice to fish on or should a person plan on bringing a boat? Thanks for any info.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money the ice still being around on the springtime river haunts at that time???

Bring boat and ice gear and you will have her covered!!!

fiskyknut

Rebels75, from my past three years of experience I would bring both the ice fishing gear and a little river boat. Each and every year there are many people hitting Red lake for the late season crappie bite. I laugh every time we pass someone with and ice house as we are heading up to do some open water fishing. Two years ago in late march we ended up ice fishing on Lake of the woods with our long rods. If you want to try something a little different, try taking you 6.5 ft rod out on the ice for a little jigging action. I know this year we are planning on heading up there again for the river bite. We might actually get reservations for one nite on Red just because with four guys lodging in Baudette, its just as cheap to stay at red for the night in a sleeper shack and actually fish while you sleep. We like to pack very versatile so that no matter what, we will be able to catch fish. We never plan until the week of because you have to go by the weather. Dont head up the Rainy too late because of the dirty water problem that often ruins a trip. Watch this site and clementsons site for updates. After three years of making this trip I am addicted!!

I am with fisky on this one...There will more than likely be ice, but you never know!!

What the other 2 locals said. A couple things working in favor of later ice out is there is lots of solid ice now, the river is quite low and unless it's a wet spring or snowy March runoff will be less than normal.