Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bearfan1963

Ice out

11 posts in this topic

With the warm weather we have been having, I'm guessing Ice out will be early this year. I'm not sure how much ice there is, but as mild a winter, can't be too thick. Any predictions on ice out? I know its still chilly up their, but not much below freezing.

Bear Fan, With not much snow cover on the lakes and 30 below weather we had for about a week. We have lots of ice. You almost need an Auger extension to ice fish.

The ice will probably be out around april 14-may1. Usually somewhere in there is about when you can expect to not be able to ice fish anymore. This warmer weather isn't going to hurt it, especially with temps below freezing at night...I also don't forsee 40 degree weather continuing for the rest of the year...so it will still be good. and yes as mentioned, we have alot of ice!!!

Bear Fan, we had extremely cold weather for nearly three weeks, below zero everynight,down to -33 or better, One stretch we didn't get above zero for 5-6 days.

I drilled a couple of holes yesterday, and I estimate the ice to be near 38", at least on the West end of Kab.

Presently, I don't see any thing that indicates an early ice out. The ice is a solid mass, clear and hard, no soft stuff in the measurement, all good weight bearing ice, that melts slowly. My early prediction for ice out, try May 3rd to 6th. guts

Yeah, that sounds about right, it could be earlier, but they seem to go out around early may every year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say June 6th, the same day school gets out. I'll be skiing through the grassies on the 7th.

SPS: That's a mighty thin limb you're out on. I expect it will break about April 25th (the limb and the ice).

Turtle

Mingo usually plants his tomatoes that day so I figured there might be some correlation.

April 25th is the average ice out date for Kab but pretty hard to predict since we are still in full winter mode up here. Kind of like asking if the fish will be biting on June 9th. Who the heck knows?

-duckster

Well, it looks like a long stretch of warm temps is coming. Wait and see I guess. I just hope the ice is gone by opener.

Ice out.,,,, looks like about normal times as Duckster points out...Unless, of course, we get Big Al up here and the warming thing happens,,,boats out then in a couple of weeks!!!!!!! Fishkab