Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LARZ

Izatys in July

10 posts in this topic

I know it's early, but I'm getting excited. We have a condo rented at Izatys towards the end of July. Just wondering what works and where this time of year. I have fished the lake a little bit and I do have the Lowrance H2OC so I should be able to find some areas to check out. Any info. on the south side of the lake would be greatly appreciated.

Is anybody out there?? I'm not looking for anybodies hot spot, just a few pointers. What do people use this time of year (leeches, crawlers, slip bobbers etc.). I would be targeting walleye, but any fish species would be just fine.

Thanks for the info. (hopefully).

Deep running cranks or leadcore out in the basin probably will be the way to go.

Last year during July we had good results with a crawler and chrome spinner blade on a lindy rig. Seemed to be the prefered bait and color. Go slow, 1mph. You will want to tie up your own lindy rigs, making them 6ft long, or as long as you can and still be able to hook them to your rod handle for travel. I like the crawler harnesses with two single hooks. Makes it easier to release fish than if they have a treble hook.

ishgood is exactly correct. The snells have to be 6-9ft though. I like to play with different colors to see what works best. I also like the green hooks, but that is not as important.

Its also a good time to catch some smallies right outside of Izatys on the rocks. Cast a green jig head (smaller) with a white mister twister tail over the rocks and start reeling immediately. Use a straight retrieve...no jigging.

Thanks for the info everybody. I like the live bait rigs for walleyes, in fact that is just about all I do. It will be fun to try and find some of them smallies also. I just got the Lowrance H2OC and the Lakemaster MN chip and I think this unit will be very helpful also. Thanks again.

I have had that unit for two winter seasons now. They are great for finding structure. Can't help you catch more fish, but it sure can help you find break lines, humps, bars, holes, etc...

I just got mine this year as well and it is a lot of help. Its a great unit.

Live bait rigs or spinners!! Long snell 7-9 ft with a plain red hook, maybe a single bead. 7 ft snell with spinners. Don't be afraid to experiment with blade colors. Copper color was a "killer" for me last year from mid - June through the 2nd week of July.

Either the mud or gravel.

I second that eyewarrior. July is spelled T.R.O.L.L.I.N.G.!!

Hit the deep water just outside of rocky and sandy shallow flats and humps and troll away with cranks, spinner rigs, etc. I use a leader no shorter than 9 feet when going after eyes. Sometimes my main line is a superbraid of some type (Power Pro, Fireline, etc.) or if they are deeper I will bring out the leadcore. Leader line is usually 10-14 pound mono tied directly to the bait behind a heavy bottom bouncer. Come nightfall, get on top of those shallow bars and humps!

GoggleEye