Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Slip Float Rod

7 posts in this topic

I have decided to go a different route this spring. Instead of another GLOOMIS rod I'm thinking of down grading for fishing with slip bobbers. Sensitivity isn't an issue but casting distance and hookset are. I'm looking at the 2 piece 7 1/2' Cabela's "Fish Eagle II" does anyone have any time on the water with these? This would be for slip floats only and probably spooled with 14# Fireline. Thanks

Mr Slip Bobber (Greg Bone) was at a local boat show doing a seminar on slip bobbering. He recommends a 9 ft ml for several reasons. Kinda long if you ask me,but thats my opinion! I Will have to try one and see!

He has a website under his name and is from wisconsin! He has a new book that covers tons of info on the subject!

He put on a nice seminar if you ever get a chance to see him!

All my bobber rods are 9ft. Allows for long effortless casts and long sweeping hooksets when the bobber is aways from the boat. I also use 6lb mono on my reels. I do suggest the longer rods though, you won't be sorry. Junky..

What's mono? grin.gif I've got a 9 foot shore caster (This will be at the garage sale) and I feel like a 12 year old fishing with my dads stuff. I can't leave my gear in a boat so I know that I would break a 9 footer in the first or second trip to the boat. A 7 1/2 is a stretch as I've broken the last two 7 footers I've owned. I just don't have the room for a big rod especially when I'm guiding. I'll be shopping for a good float rod at the sale.

Fishing with your dads stuff...I don't get it. I use 2 different 9 footers as well for slip bobbering, can't imagine useing a stumpy lil 7 footer...:)

That's what vertical rod holders are for. wink.gif

I use 9-10 ft steelhead rods for slip bobbering (2 pc) ,,Lobs the bait with out worry of flinging it off while casting and also helps with hook sets while fishing deeper depths ,,,rod storage does become an issue tho ,,,just my 2 cents

Randoid