• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A Pelican Report of my own!!!!

Greetings oh Pelican tight lippers! Well, I hate to put the cabosh on the tight lip thing, but as I suspected, the bite is on out at Pelican. But, it's a real short window. My bites came from 5:20 - 6:05 PM this past Friday evening / night and that was about it. Here are my fishing notes that I saved on my computer for last Friday night (2-17-07):

Pelican – 2-17-07

Got out there at about 1:30 PM on Friday. Setup by 2:30 PM. Started on my “Honey Hole” area in about 22 ft of water. The break was straight down on the camera. This was NOT at the base of this drop like I had always thought. Fished this area for a little bit and then moved around in the area to 25, 27 and 30 + ft with NO luck. At 5:20 PM, I walked back in the house where I had a deadstick and it was buried under the ice – it was a 6 incher. Then, from 5:20 – 6:05 it was a Bonanza. I caught about 10 – 15 total fish. Caught and kept a 13 incher and 2 16 inchers. Released lots of smaller ones. The bite shut off at 6:15. I caught one more at about 7:20 PM right before leaving.

They were ALL caught on plain Aberdeen hook / bobber setup and fathead about 6 inches off the bottom. Also, probably the most productive bait was a chartreuse glow genz worm with a shiner hooked in the back so it could swim also deadsticked and set two reels aff the bottom. The bigger the minnow the better. I lost another 2 or 3 what felt like 16 inchers halfway up the hole – could have limited on this day.

It was a great little outing and the pup got to spend her first time out on the lake!

PS - if you all want to know where my spot is, I have tried to explain it many times before. If you get a map and trace along the South shoreline, you'll see the first fairly large bay with a point that juts out pretty good. If you go South of that point a little and start by that shore and walk out until you are right on the break, I am in about 22 ft of water on that break. 22 ft is ALWAYS the magic number it seems when I do the Pelican thing. There are 3 perms in that area now, but my "Honey Hole" (if you will smile.gif) is a little South of those Perms by about 20 or 30 yards. Also, if you can find it (its not that easy to find), there is a private launch down there that is actaully plowed with a road jutting out from it now (so I don't think its private right now!!). If you hang a right off that road, you'll see the 3 or so perms there and go a little south of that and that's my spot. Good luck!

Also, I was the guy with the Black Lab runnin around out there last Friday if you saw me. It was her first time on the water and she had a blast! She couldn't figure out just why a hole suddenly appeard in the ground, but she thought the slush was tasty in every one!! What a fun liitle outing!

hey great report ., ws there any big ice-heves out there or can you drive anywhere on the lake ., im thinking of taking my dad out there saterday .,

i went to pelican for the first time yesterday. seems like a pretty good lake. i too went along the south shore line, but not as far east. i found a nice little area west of the large point. if you look at teh south shore, there is a construction area that looks like big steps being built to the water. don't know what it is, but it is a good landmark. just go north from there and you will see 3-4 perm houses. there is what appears to be a plateau and then a drop. the flat area is weeds about 6-8" tall. it then quickly changes to sand. i set up about 10' into the weeds and caught nothing but VERY small crappies, but a lot of them. I talked to a gentleman who has one of the perms. he said the key is to be 2-3' off the weeds on the sandy side, about 6-12" off teh bottom. the eyes must patrol that edge late evening for whatever comes out of the weeds to feed. anyway, he caught some nice eyes and i went home empty. bring out that fancy camera or vexilar, find that weedline, and make sure you are there by 5 and stay till 730 and you should make out like a bandit. thats my plan for next time.

we were also out saturday and was pretty slow from 10 am until almost dark. Then picked up three really nice walleyes in a very short time. 21-22 inches.. Didnt stay much after dark however. Maybe more were to come.

i was out tuesday after work ., till 7., didnt get anything.,oh wait ., i did get a rockbass, but it was fun just getting out again~!!

From the sound of it my house had to have been very close to this spot you were fishing. I pulled my house off the 10th of feb. It was very slow the few times I did manage to get out there. They were down there just not very eager to bite. I was just south of the three houses in right around 21ft of water. Right off a very steep break.

Pulled my house up to low last weekend. Fri. was pretty good, and it went down hill from there, but it is always fun to get up there.