Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LoneRanger

Lower Spunk and Ochotto Lake in Avon

8 posts in this topic

I found this little lake called Ochotto that is right by Lower Spunk in Avon. I fished Lower Spunk the weekend before last and caught some sunnies. I think the two lakes are supposed to be connected by a channel but Ochotto is much smaller than Lower Spunk (only 40 acres but 40 feet deep!). Anyone fished either?

I beilieve Ochotto lake doesn't have a access but I may be wrong.You may have to get permission from someone who lives on the lake. I always have been intreiged by the look of this lake,always thought it would be a great bass lake.

Lower spunk is one of my go to lakes in the summer for bass. Personally I don't fish it alot in the winter but I know it has some decent crappies and I have caught a few bonus eyes in there while bass fishing in the summer.

I have fished Ochotto a few times in the summer and have caught a few small crappies and bass. There is an access on the lake, but I am not sure if anyone uses it during the winter. There is a house right next to the access, but I am pretty sure it is public.

Can anyopne tell me how tha crappies are biting in tha Avon area and what lakes for sure? I am taking my two cousins from Texas and they are thrilled to go. Thanks for any info. laugh.gif

I have fished Lower Spunk a few times in the summer. I was jigging crappies in the early morning once and something huge hammered the jig. I was using 4 lb test mono and knew the fish was bigger than that. I fought it for 15 minutes before I saw the gold flash down about 6 feet. My heart raced as I thought I had a monster walleye. Another 10 minutes and my hopes were dashed as I landed a 23# CARP! It's the biggest carp I've ever caught and it was one heck of a good fight, but a monster walleye half that size would have been so much better.

Ochotto has a public access on the south shore. At least that's what the DNR website shows. Their "status of the fishery" report from 2001 wasn't very impressive. It's a small lake and the size of the fish was not very good. Some decent crappies and a few nice northerns is all they got to go along with a lot of small sunnies and some smaller bass (none longer than 14").

Ochotto lake has a public access by the park. Crappies are still bitting on Upper Spunk, stay away from the crowds and you will some.

There are a few walleyes in Ochotto as well, but I wouldn't target them.

One summer while fishing for panfish I ended up catching a 4lb walleye... that was the last place I would have expected that!

As genofish said there is an access, you have to drive into the entrance to the park and then hook left... it's down below the hill.

marine_man