Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dmengel

baitcasting reel to use on the ice

3 posts in this topic

I relize that this is the wrong room to ask this in but most of you guys seem to know alot about baitcaster reels.

I am having a new rod built for fishing heavy fish thru the ice, Has anyone used baitcasting reels in the winter or have any good ideas which one is good? Of course casting is not much of a issue cool.gif but it has to have a good drag.

I use a ABU 6500 D5 on my 41 inch roberts wrapped custom made rod from Scotty's Custom Rods. Both work very well. smile.gifsmile.gif

The Abu 5500 & 6500 or Penn 920 are very good reels for your application.

Retrieve ratio is perfect, large line guides won't freeze up on you and the wider and deeper spools work well with braids and mono.