Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carp-fisher

How are the shallow lakes holding up?

5 posts in this topic

I would think that the low water, relalively thick ice, and snow on top would lead to lower dissolved oxygen in many of the shallower lakes around the metro. Anybody been hitting shallow lakes? If so, are the fish still active? Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Carp-fisher, as a small lake devotee, I can tell you the handful I've been on in the last two weeks seem to be holding up fine. There are still plenty of green weeds in the shallows & the fish are moving around a lot. Had some good fun last Sunday - a lake I haven't fished all year, didn't catch anything big, but saw at least a dozen bass cruising by on the camera. The panfish & perch have been active too. The only weird thing is I haven't even glimpsed a northern in the past two weeks, & have been getting short-strikes on my tip-ups (flag pops & the minnow is immediately dropped). Don't know what that means...

They haven't even turned on the aerators down here in the south metro neck of the woods, which I presume means that the oxygen levels are still just fine.

Max-It's likely the bass hitting the tip-ups. I used to put out a tip-out while first fishing a certain lake. Had many flags with 0 hooks. After fishing that lake many times I have figured out that there is not Northerns in it, but many 2-3 lb bass. I think it was the bass hitting my tip-ups.

And I think the shallow lakes should be holding up fine. We did have a late ice-up on many of them.

Jameson, could be, but the only bass I caught on this lake was an 18" fellow who almost spooled my 50 yards of line on the tip-up. I've never seen a fish run that far! But I, too, have had the tip-up nipped at on smaller ponds that hold a lot of bass, even when I've tossed little fatheads on the hook.

Quote:

Carp-fisher, as a small lake devotee, I can tell you the handful I've been on in the last two weeks seem to be holding up fine. There are still plenty of green weeds in the shallows & the fish are moving around a lot. Had some good fun last Sunday - a lake I haven't fished all year, didn't catch anything big, but saw at least a dozen bass cruising by on the camera. The panfish & perch have been active too. The only weird thing is I haven't even glimpsed a northern in the past two weeks, & have been getting short-strikes on my tip-ups (flag pops & the minnow is immediately dropped). Don't know what that means...

They haven't even turned on the aerators down here in the south metro neck of the woods, which I presume means that the oxygen levels are still just fine.

Thanks for the input Max.