Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pikerliker

Tonka help

7 posts in this topic

I'll be up in the metro area most of the day on Saturday. My son has a soccer clinic in Edina from 8am-5pm. I'm looking to kill some time and I was looking at trying Minnetonka but have never fished the lake and wasn't sure where to start. I'd like to target eye's, but also am not off to big panfish or pike if they are biting. Could somebody give me a starting point? Thanks any info is appreciated.

~piker

If you get to the lake by 8:30 AM you might catch the tail end of the morning bite on Tonka. Unfortunately the majority of the time you'll be able to fish this lake is during the middle of the day. Not much for Walleyes during the middle of the day out there. Sometimes you can get some crappies in the day out on Gray's or Wayzata Bays which are Southeastern Bays that are easy to drive out to and access. The Pike should be biting for the most part off the steep drops. Look for steep drops near shallow flats in either of the aformentioned bays and run some tip ups with small or medium pike minows. Try a dead minow with the guts cut out too. I know a couple other good spots to fish at night but you won't be out there that long.

---Zdaddy

Thanks for the tips Zdaddy. Is it safe to drive under the bridge from Grays to Wayzata bay? I was looking on the DNR site and it looks like the two access in the area are both on Grays bay. Is that right? I've got enough time so I'd like to try both.

Thanks ~piker

no, not safe

Quote:

Thanks for the tips Zdaddy. Is it safe to drive under the bridge from Grays to Wayzata bay? I was looking on the DNR site and it looks like the two access in the area are both on Grays bay. Is that right? I've got enough time so I'd like to try both.

Thanks ~piker

DO NOT drive under that bridge. Go north on 101 from where you get on grays and take a left at the stoplight. Go straight and take a left when you hit the tight turn to the right. I have gotten on there twice.

Always be careful on Tonka.

Thanks guys that's why I asked. It just looked like such a narrow area on the map and usually that means current!! I appreciate the heads up and the help!

~piker

Well got out there today but not the best. Unless you like 3 and 4 inch sunfish. That seemed to be all I could find except for one nice pike that was considering my underwater camera for a snack. I fished from 10ft to 26ft and found the little sunfish at every depth. Is there anything else in this lake? Anyway that was my luck today.

~piker