Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny_redhorse

Little Trout Lake on Grassy Bay

6 posts in this topic

I've been by this small trout/walleye lake a thousand times while in the grassy bay area of sand point lake...this year I was thinking of going in to check it out and maybe even set up a camp(tent) for a long week-end.......anyone have any "ins" on the lake?...I was thinking of portaging my small solo canoe into it(12')...I also realize the park service has a boat for rent right at the lake site but would rather do the canoe thing...the lake certainly can't be "overfished" because of he seclusion...just wondering if anyone's been into it and has any experience with the "lakers" in it...jonny

Johnny, I know of several people that have been back there in the winter time for trout fishing, most with so-so results, as for summer fishing I can't help you, maybe some of the Crane Lake end folks have a little more info, I'll inquire with some friends and if i get anything I'll post. guts

Johnny,

I know some info about Little Trout that may help. First there is not a Park Service boat on this particular lake. The only pressure it gets is from shore fishermen or those willing to hump a boat in there. A few also fish it in the winter. There are Trout, Bass, Walleyes and Northerns in this lake. For some reason there are not alot of trout caught in Little Trout and I really don't know why. The test netting on the lake show a good population of trout but they seem to be hard to catch. It could be that no one has spent the time to figure the pattern out yet.

This all being said, I think that it would be a great place to camp out and spend a few days fishing. Hope this answers your questions.

-Duckster

Its Loaded with smallmouth. The water clarity is unreal. I lost the biggest pike of my life on this lake. Great place to spend some time!

Mark

JohnyR did you ever try LittleT for trout? I was thinking about heading up there to crappie fishing in the AM in grassy bay and then trying for trout in LittleT in the afternoon? Any tips on where to fish (or not to fish)? What about the trail into it? It is not on the snowmobile map? I heard that sometimes you have to haul your tow sled in from Grassy Bay?

mav....I haven't been into the lake but will this june sometime...working out the details of the trip just this week...I plan on hiring a "shuttle" to bring all my gear up to the area as I don't really want a full sized boat(just canoe)...stay on one of the bigger campsites on sandpoint and then paddle across to little trout... portage my canoe in.. and set up a "spike camp" somewhere on the lake...just in the planning stage now... getting the "itch" to see the crystal clear water in little trout(water clarity is 25')and tie into those lakers and smallmouths(the walleyes and crappies can be had on sandpoint)grin.gifjonny