Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random guy

Jonny P Fishing Report 2/14/07

8 posts in this topic

Upper Red Lake Fishing Report 2/14/07

Report from North shore.

Crappies shifted into low gear after a severe cold front and back to back high pressure systems that rolled through the area last week, although the future looks good. Fishing is beginning to pick up again and the forecast calls for dramatic improvement. Crappies remain extremely spotty, twenty feet across the ice makes all the difference. Anglers 5 ½ - 6 ½ miles out of Hillman’s road that separate themselves from the crowds out by themselves and keep moving until they find active fish are rewarded accordingly. Anglers remaining within small clusters or herd up next to each other while not searching out fish are having tough days. The daytime crappie bite is still going with increased activity during both sundown and sunrise. Crappies have began hitting bigger baits such as Jiggin Demons, Forage Minnows and many of the tear drop style jigs in red, green, pink and combinations of such colors with a fresh glow charge tipped with smaller fatheads a 12-18 inches off the bottom.

Walleyes have gone bonkers. These fish are aggressively hitting during the day with increased activity during dusk and light activity after dark throughout the night. Some of the walleye's favorite targets have been Rattlin Varmits, Custom Jigs Slender spoons, bigger Demons and JB Gem-n-Eye in glow blues and glow greens tipped with a smaller shiner or larger fathead.

Pike fishing slowed with the cold fronts. Some pike were showing up in and around the crappie anglers but the numbers were significantly less and not many large fish reported. We should also see the pike activity increase as we crawl back onto the positive side of the thermometer.

Some perch are starting to show up again after the cold front in shallower water around the last break line in 7-9 feet of water and mixed in with the walleye in deeper gravel areas. Red/White Gem N Eyes bounced off the bottom or smaller Rattlin Varmits fitted with a dropper have done well producing quality perch.

Good luck and enjoy the outdoors.

Jonny P.

Excellent report Jon, thanks. It's always nice to get info from someone that is on the lake everyday like yourself. Helps a lot part-timers like myself actually catch fish.

Great report...Keep up the good work, Helps alot.

Thanks for the excellent report.

Thanks for the awesome report. I am heading up Friday.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Jon:

Very detailed, I like it!

Joel

thanks a lot Jon...heading up this weekend, cant wait

Great report Jonny. A group of 8 of us are heading up Wednesday morning for a few days. It sounds like the same old story as always. If your not catching, move-move -move, away from the crowds. It sure looks like the weather is gonna be spectacular this week cool.gif