Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfish21

whitefish

7 posts in this topic

anyone have any suggestions for whitefish through the ice. what to use, depth, suspended or on the bottom. jigs or bait? thanks for the help

Where are you fishing for them? confused.gif Inland or on the big lake? They are at all of the water depths looking for food that makes the point inland or on the big lake. Let me now and I can help more.

A lot of what you ask depends on the lake but in general they are suspended over deep water. You can fish them much the same way you'd fish crappies. I've seem them up suspened when fishing eyes off deep water breaks and have caught them on 1/8th oz Go Devils tipped with half a minnow. I think I'd bring waxies along if I were targeting whitefish.

GUYS I KNOW SEE THEM WHILE PIKE SPEARING FROM TIME TO TIME IN 8 FOW ON INLAND LAKES. I HAVE CAUGHT THEM ON THE SMALL JIGGING SPOONS AND WAX WORMS AS WELL. IF YOU DO A GENERAL WEB SEARCH, YOU WILL FIND ARTICLES ON CATCHING THEM. GUYS IN CANADA SAVE FISH PARTS AND GRIND THEM UP. THEY START CHUMMING A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE THEY DECIDE TO FISH FOR THEM AND THEN USE WAXIES IN THAT AREA.

MY DAD HAS BEEN CATCHING THEM ON GREEN BAY THE LAST COUPLE OF WINTERS. THE WHITEFISH ARE FULL OF ROUND GOBIES WHEN HE CUTS THEM OPEN, BUT THEY HIT A SMALL JIG WITH CORN BORES FOR HIM.

GOOD LUCK.

I'm going for them on an inland lake up the gunflint trail. Its a decient size lake, 2300 acres. lots of structure( points, islands, reefs, drop-offs). was up there this past weekend and tried off a point from 8-25fow. fished waxies for about 8hrs and not a bite. i have caught one before by accident so i really have no idea as to how to do it. thanks for the help

I fish them the same as perch and walleye same baits they are more suspended but still fun to catch and eat cool.gif.

I have been having pretty good success catching Lake Whitefish in large inland lakes. During the first half of winter, they can be found in relatively shallow water. Supposedly they congregate around river mouths or run into them in late fall and early winter, on spawning missions. After this they roam shoreline flats and feed heavily. Find a flat with patches of weeds from 7 to 13 feet deep with close access to deep water nearby. I usually fish two lines in holes 10 feet or so apart. Small shiners or fatheads are a preferred bait, fished under a slip-float. Have one bait near the bottom and one suspended halfway down, as they can come in at any level. Good luck! ~hogsucker