• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bobcat Trapping

leechmann

those are nice lookin cats.we have traped 25 coons and right around 350 rats. not sure on that number as i have not counted them in a while. and with my brother being layed off he adds to the freezer every day. looks like you did ok on beaver to? can you shoot bobcat in minnesota? have lived here all my life and have never saw one i guess i have to get out of bigstone county. i would love to shoot one and get a rug made to hang on the wall

Ortonville, I ran a trapline along the Stoney Run just southeast of you back in the early and mid 60's. Very early one morning, I watched a bobcat taking a muskrat out of one of my sets. When he saw me he didn't stay around long. There were a few in Big Stone county but they were hard to see and I never set traps for any.

Thanks Ortonville, Yeah, I think we are blessed with a real healthy population of bobcats in Central MN. I cat lots of them early in dirt hole sets, that I set for fox. I've had to let several of them go over the past 5 years. I guess every area has an up side. I would love to have a few big rat slews like you have down there. I also love to pheasant hunt. Looks like your having a great season. Good luck, hope you get a $10.00 average on those rats. Take Care.

Congrats on those cats!!! I've only hunted em with hounds although we have a guy in our group who's gonna try trapping if he gets a tag next year. Congrats again, those are dandies and bobcats are one of the neatest animals I've ever hunted. Later.

Just got in from checking the trap line. My son and I caught two more cats tonight. The sad thing is that the Timberwolves found them before we did. They killed the cats and shredded the fur off of them. What a waste.

ya there is a down side no matter where you live. so can a person hunt them or not? would it be possiable to call them in like a coyote? we caught a lot of coons in the stoney run area this year the warm weather has made for easy trapping coon. and the best thing is iam helping out the pheasant's by gettig the egg eating son of a guns.leechmann if a person can hunt them maybe you could help me out for a pheasant hunt trade ?

You can take them with a gun but only after Nov. 25th. Not sure if they need a special tag though.

Those are beautiful animals. Congrats to you and your son!

I would love to have a mount of one of those in my work area!

Ortonville, Yes you can hunt them. They will come to a squealling raddit call. It's not real productive though. I would hate to promise anyone that I could call one in. I know that in this area, by the time you called a cat in, you would have 10 timber wolves out there, trying to stalk you. Trapping seems to be the method of choice.

I am with leechman, trapping is the easiest and most productive. Don't get me wrong though not everyone is going to be successful for a while though if you start trapping them. It takes a while to pattern them and learn the ins and out of cat trapping. We have 11 cats and hopefully have a couple more after today's snow. It took us years to become consistant in catching numbers of them, but we know have a good grasp on catching them. I feel that they are the most exciting and rewarding animal as every location and cat has it's own characteristics that you have to adapt to. Also, I believe there are boys down in Staples guide cat hunts with hounds.

Well we got a nice new blanket of snow. That will give us one more chance to see where those cats are. One week left. Time to get out and try to catch a couple more. Good luck everyone.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.