Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Minnesota Fishing Report Clubs - ONLY 20 FREE MEMBERSHIPS Per Area - Join Today - FREE   03/08/2018

Fishing Minnesota has added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. Initially we are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20 members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want see detailed fishing reports/tips  around your area and will share your detailed fishing report as soon as you join, then Join Now! Some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Last night my wife and I we enjoyed a meal of Red Lake Walleye and Crappie. I hope the ice is safe soon I only have one more crazy.gif My three year old is starting to really like fish which is good as I will use that to my advantage to get out more! As soon as she won't fit through the hole she can start making the trip....

I cleaned out my portable last night finally found my favorite fishing pliars I was missing all summer. Fun Fun Fun.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• tipupsonly
      Ice fishing has exploded to the point where one should worry about LOTW, Red, Mille Lacs, etc. Fortunatley,  LOTW is massive. However, the north end of the US waters are getting hit harder and harder. It’s insane how many people are on the lake on weekends. The amount of pressure on any lake is a turn off to me personally. I’d rather catch less fish away from the crowds and it’s getting harder to get away. The slot is the key on this lake and so many. I do think the limits could come down or the slot tightened, but it doesn’t NEED to yet. No one cares about the sauger but they keep you and your flasher busy. 4 and 4 is a good number but maybe you go to 3 walleye and 5 sauger in the winter? Most buckets are filled with more sauger anyways.  It’s amazing it keeps kicking them out. 
      This topic comes up again from time to time, and it's a good thing to be conservation-minded about this amazing fishery.  Since this is an open forum, I'll share a few of my observations of this lake.  Please keep in mind, I currently live 1 1/2 hrs south of the lake, and I've fished this lake for roughly 40 years of my life.  I'm also a very conservation centered person, and I'd be the first in line to make personal sacrifices to see the long-term improvement of this lake, and it's surrounding wildlife. These are issues I find troubling. 1) Summer resort guided fishing pressure.  Literally dozens and dozens of launches leave the resort docks every morning during the open water season, with hundreds of guests.  These launches invariably return each day with coolers full of walleyes, day after day after day.  Even though this harvest is closely regulated, I worry about the long-term impact this level of harvest might have on the fishery. 2) Sport fishing pressure during the Spring Spawning run up the Rainy River.  Although the allowable harvest (daily bag limit 2/person) is very conservative, I still worry about the impact this catch and release fishing pressure has on the overall spawning pattern of these fish.  Yes, there are millions of fish in the river, but there are also thousands of anglers catching and releasing these fish, many large spawning females, during a critical time in their reproductive cycle.  I'd personally like to see them left alone during the spawn.  It's not allowed on inland waters.  I'm not sure why it's allowed on these border waters? 3)  A body of water this size (and in consideration of the overall increase in sport fishing pressure) should have more Conservation Officers assigned to it's management.  I'm not sure how many of you routinely read the CO reports from this lake, but each week the few officers we do have canvas large sections of the lake.  There isn't a day that goes by when they don't find multiple people overharvesting fish, fishing without proper licensing, fishing with too many lines, or fishing with unattended lines.  I believe the reason why this behavior is so common is because most people know it's unlikely they'll ever be checked by CO's while on the lake.  I really think we'd see much less of this behavior if there were a few more CO's regularly assigned to enforcement on this lake. These are issues I'm pleased to see have been changed. 1) The overall harvest of shiner minnows during the fall run up the Rainy River.  When this first really got going it was a "Silver Rush", and the harvest of minnows was out of control.  Everyone was seeing dollar signs in their dreams.  There's no way to quantify how many 5-gallon buckets full of minnows were lifted from the river each night, but it was a free-for-all, and there's little doubt it was having a negative impact on the forage base of the entire southern basin.  In my opinion, it's likely one of the reasons why the Fall Walleye run up the Rainy River trickled down to darn near nothing for a few years.  There were WAY fewer minnows going up the river.  Since then, the MN DNR has implemented reasonably stringent regulations on the overall harvest of this incredibly important resource, and it's my humble opinion that this one single conservation agenda will greatly help to stabilize this whole ecosystem.  2) Commercial netting has either been eliminated altogether, or dramatically reduced and closely regulated across the entire expanse of this lake...including the Canadian side. 3) A much more conservative slot limit was placed on Northern Pike.  I don't know how many of you were fishing this lake 25 years ago, but I was, and I distinctly recall watching people fishing pike in the spring and stacking them like cordwood on the ice.  Again, a free-for-all.  Large groups (6-12 people per group) tip-up fishing, and killing dozens and dozens of big spawning pike, day after day after day.  Putting a stop to this has had a major impact on the number of trophy pike in the southern end of the lake.  There's very few places in the WORLD where you can almost guarantee catching multiple trophy-sized pike in a single day of fishing! Additionally, a much more conservative slot limit was placed on walleyes, and their daily bag limit per person.  It's truly astonishing how many 20-26 inch walleyes are now in this lake!  It's these prime reproductive females that are the future of this fishery, and from a conservation standpoint protecting these fish is critical to generations of fish to come. Lake of the Woods is almost certainly the best walleye fishery in the world.  You can go out there anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE, drop a  line and catch some fish.  That's where this discussion needs to be put into perspective.  Has there been a pretty dramatic increase in fishing pressure?  Yes.  But please keep in mind, particularly during the ice season, the vast majority of sport fishing pressure is confined to a pretty small portion of the lake, and according to the DNR creel counts, the largest percentage of angler harvest occurs during the winter months. When we're lined up on a fairly thin strip of ice on the southern shore of the lake it seems darn near impossible that ANY fish could go without being caught beneath the thousands of fish houses.  But take a moment to look to the north.  It's the north end of this lake that is it's saving grace.  There are literally THOUSANDS of square miles of water out there that goes completely untouched by sport fishing every year.  We can see, on a clear day, 30-35 miles north across the southern basin, but Lake of the Woods runs another couple hundred miles north of the southernmost islands (Oak, Garden, Big Island, etc.).  It's connected on the Western shore to Lake Winnipeg and the Red River of the North by rivers.  It's connected on the Southeastern shore to Rainy Lake and countless other bodies of water beyond, by the Rainy River.  To say this body of water is huge is a gross understatement.  One could spend a lifetime exploring this water and you wouldn't put a scratch in the tip of the iceberg! Many years ago (25-30 yrs?) I was talking with a couple CO's out on the lake while ice-fishing.  I still do this today every time they come around.  It's great to discuss their conservation ideas with the source.   Anyway, we were talking about the overall impact that sport fishing has on the lake.  One of these CO's told me this.  "We could open up Lake of the Woods to UNLIMITED sport fishing, no limits, and it would have NO long term impact on the walleye population in this lake!"  The other CO agreed. I'm not sure I agree entirely with this perspective, but knowing the lake as well as I do, I don't think these folks are too far off on their guess.  This lake, including it's vast untapped water in Canada, and including all it's tributary rivers, bays, bogs, streams, and connecting waterways, is a fish producing factory!  We are SO SPOILED by this lake!  Where else can you go and actually think catching ONLY 15-20 fish is a pretty crummy day of fishing?!?! But again, in my humble opinion, it's NEVER wrong to be conservative with the natural resources we have in this great country.  When you do all the studies, and evaluate all the populations, and complete all the mathematics, it still boils down to a finite number of living creatures for all of us to share.  Taking care of these resources, and being good stewards of what we have is never the wrong thing to do. On a side note, I could certainly be wrong about a few of my personal observations.  I'm not so foolish or prideful to say I'm always right about everything I say.  These are just my observations, coupled with a love for this lake.  I'll be the first to admit I may not have all my facts perfectly straight. I honestly miss topics of conversation like this one on this site.  It's a good question, and a good post.  For a few years there it looked like this website was rapidly spinning down the t-bowl.  I'm happy to see it appears to be making a slow comeback!  
    • Rick
    • VermilionGold
      What kind of dock are you looking at adding to? I had a lift dock extended a few years ago, they were able to weld a new section to the existing dock and add an “L” section.
    • VermilionGold
      Thanks to those that have PM’d some contacts. I plan to use mine for boat storage, but if you read the regulations on Boathouses or WOAS structures there is no requirement to put a boat in it.  They cannot be used for human habitation though. Ok, carry on with your discussion.
    • Big Kype
      Minnesota, the land of 10,000 rules where it's barely legal to fish.

The main selling point is that the JawJacker and Autos are a conservation tool. It sets the hook right away as soon as the fish bites. So a lot less fish get hooked deep and die after being released. There are limits on all these lakes anyway so it's not like people are going to over-fish lakes because the limit is the same regardless of what you use to fish with. There is a rule in the Minnesota rules that says you can't fish with spring loaded hooks. A spring loaded hook is actually a device from the 1920's and 30's that was banned because when a fish bit it would somehow latch onto the fish's mouth and disfigure destroy the fish it clamped down so hard. So the rule dates back to the 1920's and 30's and was put in the regs to ban that specific device. You might be able to find these spring loaded hooks somewhere like a fishing equipment collectors guide. So they have forgotten the specific reasoning behind that regulation and interpret the bent rod as being a spring loaded hook now which it is not and deviates from the original intent of the regulation. To change laws and regs you almost need to have some sort of a lobbying group, like a sportsmans group to pick up the cause to push the issue or talk with your local state government officials to pick up the cause. In Wyoming a CO once was saying that if a sportsmen's group or activist group comes to them and shows how the regulations have changed in states around them and they feel like they are falling behind the times on certain things then they will review the issue and change the regs if they feel that is necessary.
    • eyeguy 54
      nice fishies! 
    • monstermoose78
      I think tulipees are eating walleye fry  Or the spottailed shiners
    • monstermoose78
      Nice gills!
    • leech~~
      That's what we keep hearing and it sounds good. But, I'm starting to think our DNR fisheries doesn't even know how Jello works!