• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coyote Call

woody1975

We are hoping to get into calling fox/coyotes this year. I'd like to get a fairly inexpensive electronic call. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I think it is called the prey master. Its about 120 bucks. You put little sound cards in it for about 20bucks a piece. My dad got one last year, it seems to be loud enough for distress calls. I dont know if we called one in with it though, we tend to use hand calls, and at night is when we like the electronic ones. You should be calling by now, i hope to squeeze in a couple in the next week, i like to get them early as they seem to come in better. Last year the first month we did good, and after the first full moon we had a heck of a time getting any in, so did the other guy we know that calls, was wierd, there is only 2 of us that we know that calls in our area so its not from over calling.

just remember that wireless remote controlled callers are illegal in minnesota, unless you are willing to make a lot of phone calls and jump through a lot of hoops, which I am currently doing do get a permit to use a radio for taking unregulated animals.......

Quote:

...which I am currently doing do get a permit to use a radio for taking unregulated animals.......

LOL !!! grin.gif Sorry for the laugh Tom but the terminology sounds really funny.

Translation is : "calling coyotes with a Minaska"

You can buy a PowerPro for around a hundred bucks,basicaly a speaker with an amplifier and rechargeable battery with charger and case. It plugs into any portable cd player/cassette player etc. You can buy alot of good calls for that money with less stuff to carry and less to malfunction. I only use mine for crow hunting and when it's quite windy in the Dakota's.

not until I get my permit, the minaska doesn't need to get confiscated by the CO......if we weren't typing i would use a little more colorful language Val........

Went out Friday night and Saturday night, with no luck. I hunted two spot where the farmers have told me that they, on numerous occasions have seen coyotes. I used a hand-mouth call (dying rabbit). I went with 20 second calling sessions and waited about 20 minutes before giving a couple of mouse squeeks. Then I'd wait 10 minutes before another rabbit session. Went out about 3:30 p.m. and hunted until I couldn't see anymore. I think it must sound alright, because I had two owls fly into the grove I was on the edge of, but no coyotes. frown.gif

Am I calling too much, not enough, or do I just need to be more patient?

You, might want to try another tipe of call. It's a trial and error situation. I had instances where a ditress call worked great, other times a coyote howl, bark or puppy cry worked best. They are not easy animal to hunt, as other sites says "we are hunting the hunters". I believe this time of the year they are a little "spooky" due to deer hunting. I think after dark it would be the best time.

I am trying to come up with an economic way to hunt at night, but it's not easy, if you can fork out 3 grands for a gen 2 night vision scope it would be great, but I cannot afford it.

There are alot of things to factor in. You need to know what direction the wind is out of, Where the sun is, and if those coyotes have been called before. You should check out Randy Andersons dvds. I got the whole collection and it has really improved my calling, I already called in 8 yotes this year. Check it out

I have been setting up with something behind me to force them to come in from up-wind - ie. Saturday night, I had a lake downwind of me. Friday night, there was a high-way downwind. Thank you for the info. I'll just have to keep trying. I have also tried to get my buddies to come with to cover more ground. We're going to try some river bottom land after muzzle loading is over. IF I am reading the regs. correctly, you can use a spotlight at night if you are using a shotgun. Is that correct?

Only after the first of the year for the spotlight. Any only with scatterguns. I dont know how well that is going to work. We go on the full moons, when you can see a long ways. Its quite fun and intresting. They seem to come better on the nights that are a little darker, as the real bright ones they are more skidish. Its alot of trial and error. Pick spots where you know they are living, and call so the wind is in your favor or at least where you will get a shot before they smell you, like a cross wind blowing across a open field. When i call its more like 30-45 seconds of calling, then wait few minutes and repeat. They know where you are long before they get there so the more calling the faster they get there. When you see one we usually ture the volume down and then call enough to keep them coming. Lots of times when you stop calling, they stop coming. We have the best luck right at dusk, and during the full moon, early morning is also good. You need to get away from the vehicle, be quiet and dont let them know you are there, we sit quietly for a little bit before starting to call also. Oh and dont slam the car door either, as stated earlier. Also be patient, it took me 15-20 calls to get my first to come in. On average i bet we only get 1 of 10 spots tried to produce. Its more a game of numbers, more spots the better, just dont start to slack off and get lazy, then it might be 1 of 30.

Picksbigwagon

Can you elaborate on the process of getting the radio permit? WHo what when where cost etc.

Try to Fish,

Call your local DNR enforcement office. Ask them for an application for a permit to use radio devices to hunt unprotected species.

Just called the DNR today, now they are re-evaluating the validity of the radio permit when it comes to wireless callers. Basically, the permit is free, lasts for 3 years, but now they are investigating seeing if this is a legal application of the permit for a wireless caller. Basically, I haven't learned a (structure used to retain water) thing. I am frustrated beyond belief right now. Only in Minnesota can I get 20 different answers to the same request....but I need to have a perm. license on my portable ice house.......

where does it state that you need a license to use an e-caller. i looked and couldn find it in my hand book.

Page 30

Radios and Other Wireless Devices

• Using walkie talkies, cell phones, or other radio equipment to take big game or small game is un lawful.

• A DNR permit is required to take unprotected animals with the aid of radio equipment.