Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDR724

Solo Angler could use ice tips

11 posts in this topic

Coming up for early ice for a couple weeks in December to fish and heal myself of another year.

I'll be fishing as much as possible day or night while there and would like to keep it to just 2 lakes. I have looked at posts going all the way back(Thank You). Unfortunately, on the Lakemaster chips there seems to be A LOT of point breaks with inside turns near weeds.

I'm GPS friendly so any detailed info would be great. I'm thinking of targeting walleye and crappie at night, morning and evening with hopefully continued walleye and maybe some pike during the day.

Of course I'm walking using any available lake access and am prepared to walk as far as necessary. But I really don't want to have to use my PFD.

Any specific info would be great and or anyone who doesn't mind a tag along with all their own gear.

Thanks in advance,

John

My best advise is to keep watching this site as well as our bait shop website. When the early ice fishing starts up we will keep you posted on ice conditions and the latest happenings. Some of the best fishing right away is for walleyes on Round Lake, North Long, or Gull. For crappies and pike I would take a look at some samller bodies of water like Nisswa Lake or maybe the Cullen Chain. All of these have spots accessible by foot. Be sure to stop in when you arrive, we'll be sure to help you out.

Jason Erlandson

There should be some walkable ice by then. Some of the smaller lakes and bays on larger lakes are usually pretty good. I have the best luck for crappies at sundown and later just when everybody is leaving. For crappies glow jigs with a minnie seem to outdo a plain minnow on a hook. I do jig with the glow jig and deadstik the hook and minnie right next to each other. A vexilar is invaluable to locate fish and if their extra finnicky you can often entice them to bite, plus the active ones seem to be suspended more often than not. Early wallys are real active on the drop offs right at sundown and about an hour later. Jigging with a minnow head is the way to go, but I do put out a tipup with a shiner. Don't always go where the crowd is. Sound can scare many a wally away. I have seen it on the aqua view. One noisy step and there gone. There are lots of good lakes around Brainerd. I like pelican lake for early ice, but the others are very good too. Good luck, have fun.

Fishroger, great advice. If you are looking for a ice fishing suit that will keep you warm and afloat contact me, I will be selling a ice fisherman's/woman's dream when it comes to a winter suit. If you want ice tips and great bait, stop by S&W Bait or check out my fishing report on my website.

Take care,

Walleyedan

I wish I was a moderator so I could plug everything that makes me money too!!

Well then, maybe you should quit your job and explain to your family that you are going to follow your dream and try to make a living as a fishing guide. Make sure to tell them all about the long hours, scant income, rude customers, and that you MIGHT see a dime of profit in 5 or 10 years. If you follow this formula then yes, you too can be a moderator of an online forum and plug your business.

Until then how about a little gratitude to the guys who give out the most information yet ask for nothing in return.

Geez. mad.gif

I second that.....

Actually i live my life through Jason at Sportland and Walleye Dan....

That is what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving, thanks guys!

Jason i stopped by to show you my big buck, i'll email you pic's.

Tbags, please keep in mind also, that just because they are moderators, they still have to pay for their adds just like everybody else. The moderating they do for the love of the sport... Thanks guys!!!

Hi Hopper, Definately send the pics. My Dad told me you stopped by with that monster. Congrats for the deer and from what I hear, the one on the way. Rene and I went way back into the thick stuff today with the bows, Might have been a little warm. We didn't see anything until the hike out when we bumped a buck, couldnt' tell how big. Did you sell your ice house? I had a few fellas call the shop trying to track you down. Take care and happy thanksgiving!

Jason Erlandson

let me know if you didnt get the pic's of the Buck. Yep a little one on the way in March, it will be fun....

Fish house is still for sale, There is a lot of interest. I will email you my cell, if you come across some guys that are interested..

Have a good Thanksgiving!!! you should get some good Bow hunting in the next 2 weeks....

Hopper

Thanks too all for the local info and I'll definately stop into SB&T as soon as I roll into town.

Thanks Again!

JohnR

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• FrazerBay

Posted

Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile..

but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.

1 person likes this
    • LakeofthewoodsMN

Posted

Walleyes and Saugers continue to move closer to the south shore. Good fishing in 23 feet of water outside the Lighthouse gap and all along the south shore. Shiner minnows in the area keeping large schools of walleyes active! The bite will continue to improve in the coming weeks. Anchoring and jigging with a shiner minnow successful with gold or pink/gold the colors of choice. Some crankbait action in the afternoons to cover water to find active schools. Lots of ducks and geese in the area as local waterfowl still around. Should expect a good northern push in a few weeks as it gets colder.

The Rainy River continues to get better each day as more shiners and walleyes push into the river. Fall walleye fishing on the Rainy River can be some of the best! Sturgeon are being boated up and down the river daily. 

Up at the Northwest Angle, walleye and sauger action is hot. Drifting with a bottom bouncer, spinner, and a minnow doing great. Anchoring and jigging with a minnows doing good as well. Look for deep holes and mud areas in 18-30 feet between Oak and Flag Island. Also look for points with depths of 8-18 feet as shiners have started moving into bays. On the Ontario side, walleye fishing is red hot as the feed bags are on to bulk up for the winter. Use electronics to locate schools of fish in 18 to 28 feet and use a jig and minnow. Bottom bouncers with spinners can be used to cover water to locate fish. Crappies over 15 inches are stacked up in sharp drop offs and around flooded timber in 30 feet. Muskie action has turned to trolling large minnow baits in 10-18 feet. Plenty of waterfowl in area with local birds still around.

• Big Kype

Posted

People are getting smarter.

• Big Kype

Posted

Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I have never had a bad meal at the Vermilion Club!

Great pizzas, wings, steaks, etc.!

Cliff

1 person likes this
    • Capt. Quicksteel

Posted

This thread makes me glad I'm on the east end!!  :)  Nobody has mentioned the Vermilion Club. Not fancy but we always enjoy the pizza etc

• Great report.  I will be fishing Fri, Sat, Sun with high school buds and we are looking forward to good fishing and good catching!!!

• Ya I think my dog would want to go after them he gets really excited around other dogs. That's why I will never hunt him without his e collar because I know I can stop him in his tracks with it. My dog likes to hunt close and I never let him push out way in front of me so at least I have eyes on him at all time and can give him the command to come to me if I see a wolf. I always keep a slip lead with me as well so I can put that on him and not have my hand tide up reaching down holding on his collar.

I had a couple run in with wolves last year in the Longville/Remer area but that was just with me on foot with no dog.

The one thing that gets me is "Only agents of the government are authorized to take wolves if pets or livestock are threatened, attacked or killed" 

I don't think I could just stand there and watch my dog die.

Anyway did you hunt a different area? Any birds I have only been out once in the mille lacs area and didn't see any. Going to Nemadji this weekend and should see some.

• smalliehunter

Posted

A friend and I will also be up chasing smallmouth this weekend!!!

• slammer

Posted

Add Sallie to the list.

• FrazerBay
      Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile.. but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      Walleyes and Saugers continue to move closer to the south shore. Good fishing in 23 feet of water outside the Lighthouse gap and all along the south shore. Shiner minnows in the area keeping large schools of walleyes active! The bite will continue to improve in the coming weeks. Anchoring and jigging with a shiner minnow successful with gold or pink/gold the colors of choice. Some crankbait action in the afternoons to cover water to find active schools. Lots of ducks and geese in the area as local waterfowl still around. Should expect a good northern push in a few weeks as it gets colder. The Rainy River continues to get better each day as more shiners and walleyes push into the river. Fall walleye fishing on the Rainy River can be some of the best! Sturgeon are being boated up and down the river daily.  Up at the Northwest Angle, walleye and sauger action is hot. Drifting with a bottom bouncer, spinner, and a minnow doing great. Anchoring and jigging with a minnows doing good as well. Look for deep holes and mud areas in 18-30 feet between Oak and Flag Island. Also look for points with depths of 8-18 feet as shiners have started moving into bays. On the Ontario side, walleye fishing is red hot as the feed bags are on to bulk up for the winter. Use electronics to locate schools of fish in 18 to 28 feet and use a jig and minnow. Bottom bouncers with spinners can be used to cover water to locate fish. Crappies over 15 inches are stacked up in sharp drop offs and around flooded timber in 30 feet. Muskie action has turned to trolling large minnow baits in 10-18 feet. Plenty of waterfowl in area with local birds still around.
    • Big Kype
      People are getting smarter.
    • Big Kype
      Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I have never had a bad meal at the Vermilion Club! Great pizzas, wings, steaks, etc.! Cliff