Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IcEaHoLiC

Places to hunt?!?!

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, i am not big in to pheasant hunting have done it a couple times. Mostly a bow hunter, but i am curious to see where you would suggest going to over thanksgiving week. I am only going to hunt a couple of days and i was curious to see if anyone new of a public land around the maple grove area that was pretty decent or within 30 miles? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated as i dont know what to look for in public lands or even begin to look for in a public land that will hold pheasants. Thanks

Pretty tough that close to the metro. I would recommend finding the biggest patch of cattails you can find and wading right in to the middle of them. Prolly better off putting a few more miles on your pickup.

Unless you have access to private land you're probably not going to see the birds you'd like to within 30 miles of Maple Grove. You need to drive at least double that to get into rooster country that has enough public land. If you have the time drive 2-3 hours west and really get into pheasant country. That's what we do, even for day trips. It's worth it for you and the dogs. Get a DNR map or pick up a MN Gazeteer map book and look for concentrations of public hunting lands. You're going to want to go west in my opinion, but I know people who hunt the few spots north near Cambridge and do all right.

Good luck!