Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
decoy

Savage... Anyone?

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking at getting a new Savage 11FX3 HUNTER Combo 243 cal.

Comes with a mounted scope 3x9x40 8point Simmons.

It also has the AccuTrigger.

Synthetic/blued

Anyone have experience with this gun?

Should I or Shouldn't I get it .

I think I found a deal at $369.

All info appreciated. I've never used a SAVAGE.

My Dad bought one for the nephew just weeks ago.

Seems like a nice starter gun set up. Seems to be a good deal for the money.

I have a savage 110 and love it. not the prettiest gun but I have shot alot of deer and caribou with it. straight, flat , and accurate.

hookset

I saw several of these Savage rifle packages come through the range this year at the rifle sight in.

I doubt you could find a smoother trigger and a nicer out of the box stock shooter.

They group nice, the triggers are so smooth you barley know it went off.

Not a real pretty rifle, but a great value in comparison to the big name brands.

Benny

I think Savage are the best bang for your buck guns on da market.. I've never shot the one ur looking at but have shot plenty other savage's and i like them.. They seem to be pretty accurate right out of da box..

Sounds like a good buy...

p.s.

I would probably get a different scope later if possible.. I'm just not a very big fan of Simmons... There not bad, but tons of other around da same price range that are better..

just my 0.02

Been shooting a Savage 111 in .338 for the last 10 years. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

A perfectly good rifle for killing things ... my only change would be to get a Stevens 200 (same rifle w/o accutrigger) in the chambering of your choosing and get the best scope you can afford from the get go.

Cameraland.com is selling 6x42 Pentax's for 89.99 shipped right now. It is basically a Burris scope without the marketing. I'll be getting one in a few weeks for some field testing and review. I can't say I've played with one yet, but Doug at cameraland has NEVER steered anybody wrong on optics.

If you don't like the setting of your trigger, a simple web search will show you how to adjust it yourself.

I got a Model 12 in 204 and it shoots great. My dad bought my brother the same gun this year for hunting and it seems to shoot good. I havent shot it but my dad cousin and both brothers liked the way it shot. He got 3 deer with it, so it worked for him.

I have same exact gun with same .243 caliber, I am very happy with it. I used it last year with the 3x9 scope and got few coyotes, then upgraded to a 6-20x44.

Break it in very well, just like manual says (1 shot, clean it up, another shot, clean it up, etc.) and you will not be disappointed, I have set my trigger to the lightest setting.

Go get it it's a good combo.

have 3 in different chamberings

300 wsm

30-06

awesome and im not scared or feel bad about scratching them or taking them out and getting mud all over them and this and that they are worth their price had them 3 years now all have shot deer

Get it.

I bought the same gun for my wife last year and she absolutely loves it. I bought one chambered in .270 WSM this year for myself and I don't think I'll ever buy another gun. I've shot three deer and not one of them so much as took a step. They all fell flat on their face and I hit each one right through the heart. Very accurate and flat shooting gun. Oh, and the AccuTrigger is awesome!

Well,

I got the .243. Over the last few days I have been target shooting. Let's just say, it's a tack driver and I've been winning money from the inlaws (who are shooting their Winchester Feather weight .243's and their Leopold scopes.

I know that Simmons scopes aren't highly rated, and may not be that great at light collection. But after zeroing it in and shooting targets, I have to say I'm impressed overall with the performance. It sighted in very well and is holding perfectly. I am also happy with the clarity and eye relief.

The gun is great too. I set the accutrigger and love how it works.

The only things I would change are:

1. It has a very stiff magazine feed. May improve in time.

2. The magazine doesn't open from the bottom.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase.

Thanks to all who commented. I would recommend it to anyone.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• papadarv

Posted

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own.

2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one.

http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/

• They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.

• the weather has not been good this past week either, but fishing was still do able. Pike island is a popular spot and I am sure you can find fish there. Gold is. would be worth a try as would the area around the wolf pack. We had 4 nice walleye today and a great fish fry tonight. Heading home in the morning for the season. so good luck

• I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes

• delcecchi

Posted

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

• delcecchi

Posted

On 9/13/2016 at 4:37 PM, loadmaster said:

Well, got out of the hospital and rehab a couple of weeks ago, Its been a long haul went in on Feb 15, with some massive heart attacks.   Starting to feel better and have hit Fish a couple of times.  Thought I would check out the site and see if traffic has picked up,  Sorry to say not much different, a lot of lookers as usual and not a lot of posters

Been there and done that.... Not the site but the hospital etc

• certified jumbo

Posted

In northwest Wisconsin 26 hunting dogs have already been killed this late summer.   Already breaking the record of 23.  Be careful in the northland.

• Wanderer

Posted

I guess if you want it bad enough, you'll be there.

"Oral" auction might be the law when it comes to this type of sale.

At least one has most of the month of October to shop for recreational land.  Not like there's anything else going on this time of year! :grin:

Thanks for posting, Rick.  It might be worth looking at that list.

• HunterFisher11

Posted

Thanks for the info!!! Will be up there on 10/5-10/8, have been looking at the weather and I hope they are wrong because looks like rain... Have you ever tried fishing out on pike island area? Brother inlaw drove down there this summer and said there were quiet a few people fishing there.

• Minnesota motorists can support conservation with a new critical habitat plate featuring a wild turkey.
      The new plate displays a colorful tom turkey and is the ninth critical habitat plate offered. Other plates display a moose, loon, pheasant, chickadee, showy lady’s slipper, a fishing scene and two with white-tailed deer. There is also a specialty license plate for state parks and trails.

“Wild turkey restoration in Minnesota is one of our great conservation success stories,” said Kim Hennings, wildlife land acquisition coordinator. “The critical habitat plates are a great way for motorists to show their interest and support for Minnesota’s fish and wildlife resources.”

Wild turkeys are native to southeastern Minnesota, but disappeared by 1880 because of habitat loss and unregulated hunting. Successful reintroduction efforts starting in the 1970s led to turkeys now living over a wide range of Minnesota.

“The wild turkey critical habitat plate has been long awaited for by our membership in Minnesota and turkey hunting enthusiasts,” said Tom Glines, National Wild Turkey Federation regional director. “We love the wild turkey resource and want to do everything we can do to keep wild turkey populations healthy and thriving.”

The Minnesota Legislature created the critical habitat license plate program in 1995 to provide additional opportunity for Minnesotans to contribute toward conservation. Motorists who purchase a critical habitat plate pay a $10 initial fee, plus a minimum annual contribution of $30 to the Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) program. Every dollar generated through the sale of the license plate is matched with private donations of cash or land. The annual $30 contribution is not tax deductible.

Critical habitat license plate revenue has generated more than $59 million to acquire or improve 22,000 acres of critical habitat and helped fund non-game wildlife research and surveys, habitat enhancement and educational programs. Information about the program and details about how to order plates are available on the DNR website at www.mndnr.gov/plates.

The new license plates are now available at deputy registrar offices statewide. For questions about ordering critical habitat license plates, call the Department of Public Safety-Driver and Vehicle Services at 612-297-3166.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

• papadarv
      Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own. 2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one. http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/
    • SpecialK
      They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.
    • Dusty
      the weather has not been good this past week either, but fishing was still do able. Pike island is a popular spot and I am sure you can find fish there. Gold is. would be worth a try as would the area around the wolf pack. We had 4 nice walleye today and a great fish fry tonight. Heading home in the morning for the season. so good luck
    • ZachD
      I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes
    • delcecchi