Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terrible_fisherman

Spear Fishing

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

New to forum here although I have been reading it for about 6 months but finally got registered. I moved to a home by Big Lake near Richmond about 10 months ago and this is going to be my first year ice fishing the area. I am wondering if any of you guys could give me a few pointers on:

Spear Fishing: Any decent lakes for 2-4 lb pike for pickling? Preferably with clear water and fairly near a public access (no ATV or Sled so gotta hike it until I can drive on the ice).

Crappie and Perch Lakes: I don't need trophies, just a place to take my five year old niece to and let her catch some perch or crappies. Again preferably near a landing until I can drive on the ice (I really need an ATV frown.gif).

Thanks for any help you may offer.

Thanks for the post although a discussion on the ethics of spearing isn't that helpful from a fishing standpoint!

Welcome to the site. I see you are from Richmond this is where I live as well. I grew up in the area and know it like the back of my hand I will try and give you a few pointers. As far as for spearing there are numerous good lakes close some I"ll mention are Big,Rice,Becker,Koronis and Browns.

As for panfish the chain is my favorite but Rice,Eden and Browns definately shine at times.

Big Lake is a great numbers lake for panfish. Bring out a lantern and a bucket of crappie minnows. When you find them there will be a lot of them. Size will vary on the school you're working.

Good Luck!

Over the soft water season I was out on Big a lot and found a lot of pannies in a few of the bays as well as a few hammer handle northerns. I also noticed last year that pretty much the only fish houses on the lake were in the bay and nobody was really driving on the ice. Is the ice spotty in that area and are their fish in other parts of the lake?

Also on spearing, Rice and Big would probably be the lakes of choice so I can keep my hole open even when getting home late from work. What is the water clarity like out on those two and what areas/sides are people typically finding pike to throw at?

Thanks for the information.