• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mom shoots twice at nice 10 as I hug tree and watch!

onthefly

My dad passed last March. My mom hasn't been hunting with me since 7 years ago when I shot my first deer (220lb, 140" 10-pt.). We were sitting last night in my dad's spot - about 10 yards apart in treestands. My party saw one deer opening weekend and none Friday or Saturday morning.

It's 4:00 and I'm getting restless. I start to climb down, planning to walk a big circle to maybe kick up some bedded deer. I lower my gun to the ground and start to climb down. About 1/4 way down the tree, a very small doe comes barreling down a trail and stops at 5-yds. My mom has the gun on her but wasn't going to shoot that small of a doe. I look up and yell, "look behind her!" The BIG 10-pt. stops at 20 yds., mom fires and his front legs go weak, then he acts like nothing happened. She fires again and misses. I try to shimmy down the tree to my rifle but he ran off. Walk over to where he stood and see good, bright blood. Then we hear: BOOM! We're on state land, but across the road is private. The guy has a stand right where I knew these deer were heading.

He ended up dropping it right there with a .50 cal muzzleloader. We saw the deer and took a picture of it. But since it ran onto private property, I knew we couldn't so anything about it.

At any rate I feel good about it in lieu of it all. My uncles who we hunt with always claimed there weren't deer in the corner we sat in. My dad always saw deer, though. Plus, now I have a new hunting partner!

I think so. He was hot on the doe's trail so he wasn't going to slow up very quickly. The bullet hit high on the front leg and then passed through the brisket. The blood was bright and the trail was easy to follow.

I'm just kicking myself. I was looking at his side, slightly quartering away at 25 yards. If my rifle wasn't on the ground, I don't think he would've crossed the road, which was 250 yards away.

Personally, I think that's your mom's buck and I would have given it to her. She made a good shot and you were able to easily trail good blood, that's a dead deer walking and he didn't kill it. In all parties I've hunted with that would have been her deer.

I guess this is a great hunter ethics debate. I agree with you, lawdog. I don't want to call the guy out on it, though, because what if it turned out the initial wound wasn't fatal? I believe it would have been. If the tables were turned, I would have given the deer up. The only thing that irked me was he was sort of smug about the whole thing and a little cocky. First thing he did was throw it in the back of his truck and head to town to show it off!

The guy said he'd been watching it all summer. My dad saw deer close to that size every time he sat in that stand but never had a clear shot.

For reference, I think this deer would've dressed out well over 200 and scored maybe 140. My heart was pounding for a good 2 hours after that!

Two CO's even pulled up as the guy was dragging this. They said there really isn't anything they could do about it. If he wanted to give the deer up he could, obviously.

Kudos to you for not turning it into a selfish battle over who's deer it really was. I think Dad was looking down proud as he probably knew your Mom did the job, but was testing your hunter ethics. I have a feeling he raised a great hunter with impeccable hunting values. Kudos to you and I hope you enjoyed the time you spent with your Mother!!

Interesting...we have always lived by the idea of "first blood" claims the deer.

In any case...my Mom passed away a couple seasons ago...you are a lucky hunter:)

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.