• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Lift - does it need to come out?

I just bought a place near Walker and we will be ready to move in sometime in January. It has a permanent boat slip. The former owner has a boat lift he wants to sell me. He says that he keeps the lift in year round. Will there be any damage to the lift if left there during the winter? Most places I've seen take the lifts out for winter. Is this normal? -- thanks

I am no expert on the subject of boat lifts but I would think the only thing you have to watch out for is when the ice goes out. Are you in a small bay where the ice generally doesn't shift? If the ice sheet takes off on ya it wouldn't be good! I guess I would just talk to the former owner who should have a good idea about the lake. If you are still worried I would ask him to remove it from the lake, or see if you can. But if that's the case, you better hurry as it won't be long until the ice is back! Someone may have some other thoughts on the subject for ya after me.

Welcome to the site!

I have a small harbor on my place on Leech and I have left my lift in for 6 years without any problems

I have a place on Leech right by the Walker City Park. I have left my lift in for the last five years without any problems. One of my neighbors keeps his lift in with his boat on it year round. I am not willing to leave my boat on it year round. The boat slips are covered. He says there no difference between it and leavening your boat on the trailer covered and sitting outside.

Hey...fishing is hot...It sounds like you will be one of my new neighbors. The place we are buying is right next to city park too(we won't really own it until December). If keeping the dock in works for you, it should work for me. thanks.

I am guessing that the most of you are not in the main lake. I dont know alot of guys that leave there lifts in over the wintertime. If you leave it in the water over winter, dont the lifts get wrecked of years time?

I think there are seven boat lifts and I have never seen or heard of anyone taking out theirs. They used to take the slip covers off but don’t any more. It only added a couple more years to life to the covers. I know the lift you are buying hasn’t been taken out in 10+ years. I had the lift you are buying for a short time. I wanted a different slip so the only way I could get what I wanted was the buy the lift and a Grady White that was on it. The original owner (D2) of the lift and boat didnt use it but one or two time a year. Jim had just moved in and wanted a lift so I sold it to him and put the Grady on consignment and sold it and had my lift moved.

It sounds like leaving it in isn't that much of an issue.

So...you know the lift I'm thinking of buying? Do you care to share any info on it? I haven't actually seen it yet. If you don't mind, send me an email at headsonfire at comcast.net