Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H2OHUNTER

Lake Sturgeon in Ottertail

7 posts in this topic

I was just reading that the DNR is stocking Ottertail with 10,000 fingerling Lake Sturgeon from 2005-2008. Has anyone caught any? I only fish the area once per year on average but thought that was interesting that they were stocked. Would like to hear some feeback from the locals about this and how the sturgeon are thriving.

I've only seen and heard of 1 being caught. Believe it was in '05. I know they dumped about 10-12,000 of them in OT 2 summers ago as well. Not exactly sure of the reason for this but maybe someone on here does.

Lake Sturgeon had a historic range throughout the entire Red River drainage. Their distribution was drastically affected after dams and other river modifcation took place, and pollution, and overharvesting (they were used to fuel steam ships believe it or not). There have been strong efforts in recent years by the DNR, and other Tribal resource agencies in the US and Canada to reestablish the Lake Strugeon to their historic range. Because the sturgeon have an incredibly long lifespan (up to 150 years old) and females don't reach sexual maturity until age 20-25, they are at most risk right now, and it will take some time before populations in these re-introduced areas will become self-sustaining.

I know first hand that the efforts by the MN DNR have been first rate and a lot of hard work has been put towards the reintroduction. I personally think it's great that these living fossils are getting a second chance. I've never personally caught one, but from what I heard they are a great fight. I did have the opportunity to witness a female attempt to spawn in Dunton Locks on Lake Sallie this past spring. It was amazing!

If you're interested in trying to ctach one of these great fish, keep an eye out in the HSO gatherings forum for the STURGEON EXCURSION. A good time was had by many last year!

I did see one laying on the bottom last winter on a camera. Looked to be about 25 inches or so long.

I have seen 2 of them when I was bowfishing on the river. I don't know the name of the river it comes out by Zorbaz.

Quote:

I don't know the name of the river it comes out by Zorbaz.

otter tail river

The small ones can be caught next to docks by hand.