Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huskie

Deer processing--Nw suburbs of Twin Cities

12 posts in this topic

We have our two deer cut up, meat all boned out. The place we used to go to is closed. Can anyone recommend a butcher shop in the Elk River area that is reasonably priced and will make sausage, sticks and brats for our venison? Thanks.

Not Elk River, but not to far away is Mark's Meats in Circle Pines... they do an awesome job! I live in the S/E metro and made the drive up there to have my sausage made in past years. I do most of it myself now, but may have them do my sticks still, as their's are very good! so is their summer, italian, and smoked brats.

Good Luck!

Ken

I've been using Anoka Meats the last couple of years and some of their stuff is great. We love their breakfast links probably the most. Sticks are good but not the best I've had, summer sausage alright by my standards but my brother-in-law has a place he prefers for those.

They do a great job on my burger as well. I also think their brats are really good and I tried their Italian Sausage in a stew this week (my buddies sausage) and it was very good.

Von Hanson's is good and they are all over the North Metro. I picked up my sticks last night and I believe that the old Mark's Meats in now owned by Von Hanson's as well.

I recommend the hot pepperoni sticks either with or without the jalapeno cheese. Both are outstanding if you like a little kick in your sticks.

Von Hansens in Elk River has been good, and A-1 meats in maple lake, also has done great work for me with sausage, and smoked brats.

Are you implying Elk River Meats on Main St is Closed? Say it ain't so! They've always done great summer suasage and sticks for me.

TJ

I am going to guess he is talking about the nowthen market.....

I always use Steffens meats in Albertville. They always do a good job and aren't bad on the wallet either. Hopefully I'll be dropping some off there in a couple weeks. ( My season opens on the 18th-3b)

I hear Osseo Meat's does a good job.

And "Mark's Meats" was purchased by Von Hanson's(Mark got cancer and passed away) and is called "Circle Pines Sausage Haus". If they use Mark's recipes, I can guarantee everything will be quite tasty.

i have always used osseo meats and they are great. i live in BP so it is not far from home either.

iceman

McDonald's Meats in Clear Lake

I have had good luck with both Steffens Meats (Albertville) and Osseo Meats.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!