• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stolen treestand?!?!?

I have a cabin just west of Hackensack. We left last Thursday morning to do some bowhunting before the gun season got into full swing. As we made our way to the woods to set up for the evening hunt, my buddy mentioned, "wouldn't you be pissed if your stand wasn't there?" I kind of shrugged it off, thinking it was locked to the tree and it would be a pain in the a** to haul it out of the woods without some help and people seeing.

As I drove up to the entrance of the Woodtick Trail, I didn't see it from the road and started to worry. I thought maybe the blind I put around it just blew off and that is why I couldn't see it. I was wrong, someone climbed the tree, cut the lock off and stole my two-man ladder stand. I just bought it two weeks before so my six year old son, who was begging to go hunting with "daddy", could sit with me and watch and learn things about bowhunting. These scum bags tore my blind off and threw it to the ground. I know that it had to be more than one person to steal and take this heavy stand out of the woods. I have talked to a few local guys in the area and they gave me a vehicle description of a truck that was parked at the trail that leads to my missing stand. If anyone was going into the Woodtick Trail off of Cnty Rd 122 between Monday Oct 30 and Thursday Nov 2 and saw anything suspicious or a vehicle within 50 feet of the entrance, please let me know.

Whatever happened to "Minnesota Nice"? I just hope that the Cass County Sheriffs Department catches these (Contact Us Please) before I do!

is it on public land?

let it over a whole week and you can see it from the road?

Geez, I know it stinks for you but you had to see that coming....

It was on public land. You could see it from the road, but the field edge it was on is fenced in and the only access to it is through the woods and it would almost have to been disassembled to bring it down through the woods. I guess, in your words, "I should have seen it coming". I'd like to think that people respect other people's property and especially the fact that it had a LOCK on it, that it would have been alright. My brother who lives up there. also hunted out of it and checked it out when he wasn't working. It's people with the mentality like you that take things that don't belong to them! I have my tv by the window in my house. I suppose that because people can see my tv through my window and it gets stolen, I should have seen that coming too?

I wouldn't steal your treestand. If by "my mentality" you mean expecting the worst in people when you give them an opportunity, then yes, that is my mentality.

If we are going to engage in personal attacks, I might point out you were breaking the law leaving a stand in the woods on public land unattended.

Doesn't make it right to steal it, just saying, you could have seen it coming.

Hey dude, The DNR took seveal stands out of my area before fire arms opener that might be it I donno... sorry that sucks

No doubt it is an unfortunate thing that people cannot just leave things as they are.

I do have to agree that even locking a stand on public land is illegal and leaving the chance of being stolen is high, but taking it doesn't make it right either. If someone decided to sit in the stand, that is one thing...it may make you mad, but it's not the end of the world and it would be considered public property since the stand is on public land. I guess leaving a stand on public property is a risk some are willing to take, expecting others to respect the owner and leave it be. But I cannot condone leaving it there eiter.

It would not surprise me at all if the Local DNR officer confiscated it. I have talked with him a few times now, and he is definitely an upstanding CO with whom I have high regards for. If the truck was a 3/4 ton Red Chevy truck with a black brush guard that you have information on, I would almost bet it was confiscated. He has been pretty visible around the area.

Just a suggestion...give him a call. At this point, you have nothing to lose (not trying to be brash about that...it just does not hurt to find out)

Stinks for the little guy...

Steve

VMS, I just contacted the DNR and he told me that he is the one that patrols that area and I didn't take it nor has he ever taken a stand that was placed legally. I wasn't doing anything illegal with the placement of my stand nor was I by leaving it there. He clarified that it is legal to leave a portable stand on public land unless it is in a WMA. I think I have hit the end of the road in my search unless I find it myself.

LakeDocktor,

I feel your pain! I had one taken last year from me down by Backus. Funny how not more than 50 yds from where it was taken someone erected a box blind! Gee I wonder who took my stand! I thought about going out the day before rifle this year and cutting his down and see how he liked having his hunt ruined! I can get kinda mean grin.gif But I didn't.

Just remember the pain goes away in time. (I hope) grin.gif