Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Browning83

Scope Question

10 posts in this topic

Over the past weekend while deer hunting I noticed my scope was blurry and not from fog. It was extremely blurry when I turned the scope to 9X-5X. The object I was aiming at was blurry and the cross-hairs were also blurry. I havent had this problem before. I was just wondering what might have caused this. I talked to my friends uncle and says I might have "cracked" the scope and nitrogen or something came out. I am not sure of what he was really talking about. Either way it resulted in me missing a very nice buck.

Unfortunately it sounds like it is time for a new scope. Too bad you found out now rather than a month b4 the season started. Bummer on the timing. Depending on the scope it may be warranted. You will want to check into that. WG

maybe your eye relief?

Quote:

maybe your eye relief?

Ditto.

what kind of scope is it? and what kind of gun is it on?

My dad has a very light Savage 30-06 that kicks like a mule because of it's weight and he just had to throw out a cheaper Tasco because the beating broke the crosshairs loose. It sounds like you have a cracked seal somewhere, that can happen without any physical bump or damage.

Is it possible that while turning the variable magnification ring that you turned the focus ring instead? If so, the more you magnify (as in you said you noticed it most from 5-9x) the more the focus would play a role.

I found myself doing this on my leupold a few times.

ccarlson

Well I have a Nikon Monarch 3X-9X on a Winchester .243 so I dont believe the recoil has anything to do with it. Also I know its not the focus cause I've tried adjusting it and I know a bit about scopes so I know its not that. Also the eye relief has never been a problem and I have not adjusted it ever. I think I just got to bite the bullet and buy another scope. But being in college the funds are sometimes not there. Does any one know if Nikon has a warranty on scopes....I can't remember when I bought it but I would say its about 4-5 years old. Thanks for the replys.

Browning83 I just looked in the Cabelas catalog and all Nikon scopes have a full lifetime warranty. I know that it is a little late this year but at least not too much money out of pocket to get it fixed or replaced.

Thanks....yeah perfect timing for my gun to get messed up. It worked when sighting it in a few weeks back. Looks like I got to use the rifle my grandpa passed down to me the rest of the season....rather have open sights than a messed up scope. At least it wont cost much to get the scope fixed.

I would take it in to scheels they should be able to replace it on the spot. Bore sight it and you should be able to head to the range and get it zeroed up.