Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walldoggie

gell cell battery

11 posts in this topic

seeing I am almost a complete (Contact Us Please) when it comes to elcetricity. I have a question about the difference between the 7 amp and the 9 amp vex batteries, other then the obvious of one has 2 more amps. The question would be why would you want one over the other. I only ask this question as i am going to be installing some lights and maybe a 12v dc adapter, in my portable. Thanks for all the help in advance. grin.gif

You'll get a little longer use out of the 9 amp hr battery. Say a MarCum draws 300mA. With a 7 amp battery you'll get around 23 hours of use. A 9 amp hr battery you'll get 30 hours of use.

ahh ok, thanks

Amps or Amp Hours are measures of how much capacity is in a battery --- basically how much juice it holds ----- tells you which batteries are "bigger" and which are "smaller". More capacity, holds more juice, you get power for a longer period of time.

Walldoggie

Go with the 9AH Battery.

The difference between 7 AMP-HOUR batteries and a 9AH battery is the capacity of the battery. The capacity of the battery is measured in AMP-HOURS. A 7-amp battery will deliver 7 Amps for 1 hour. The number of AMPS you draw depends on how many things you have plugged into the battery. I.e. A light rated at .5 amps will be able to run that for 14 hours. Each hour your light will draw .5amp. So after 1 hour you battery would have a capacity of 6.5AH. Now more then likely the lights you are going to install are going to be rated in mA (milliamps) or W (WATTS). So if you want to estimate how long your battery will last under a given load you are going to need to do some conversions.

1 AMP = 1000mA

9AH battery = 9000mAH

Eq 1.

Hours = (mAH of battery)/ (total mA draw of equipment)

(9000mAH)/(500mA) = 18 hours

Now depending on what kind of lights you use they may also be rated in mW or milliwatts.

Eq 2.

To convert mW to mA use this formula:

milliamps = milliwatts/Volts or mA=mW/Volts

So if your light is rated at say 400mW

33.3mA = (400mW/12V)

Use the mA load you calculated in Eq 2 and plug it into the Eq 1 to determine the duration of this light.

*Unfortunately AMP-HOUR is not always a good way to determine the length of how long your equipment will stay on. Manufactures are not required to and do not all use the same duration of time when measuring the discharge. It is usually right around a hour however companies can vary by large amounts. So one 9AH battery may last longer then others. So if the batteries you are looking at are from the same manufacture they will be measured on the same time duration. For this reason the above equations can only be used as an estimate. Only trial and error or a specific amount of time the manufactured used to rate the battery will give you a precise answer to how long your equipment will stay on. Also age of battery will affect this.

I know this isn’t exactly what you asked but I thought it might help you see the difference between the two batteries.

Hope this helps

Brian

Dude.. great post.. my brain just exploded! laugh.gif

Well, all that, plus....

The battery AH discharge capacity is less when the battery is cold and the colder it is the more the capacity is reduced.

If you want to get really deep, you can usually download all this information and the discharge curves, etc. from the batt. mfg. website.

For example, I have some Panasonic batteries in the 7.2AH capacity.

In order to get the 7.2AH rating, the discharge rate is over 20 hours so about 360mA or less draw from the battery to get the full 7.2AH. If one was to draw about 1A (1000mA) from the battery, it would give up only about 6.5AH.

With regard to the temperature, that 7.2AH rating is at 77F/25C. If you lower the battery temperature to say 5F/-15C, the capacity is only 65% or about 4.7AH.

Ow!!!oww!!!my brain hurts...how long will it hurt at 4.7AH... confused.gif

Now my next Question is where do i find the least expensive 9amp gel battery?

You guys crack me up grin.gif this fishin stuff aint is easy as everybody thinks blush.gif

Quote:

With regard to the temperature, that 7.2AH rating is at 77F/25C. If you lower the battery temperature to say 5F/-15C, the capacity is only 65% or about 4.7AH.

That is information most don't think about or are aware of with regards to temps affecting a batteries performance.

Without a full charge and warmer battery environment you are behind the 8-ball from the start !!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~

Posted

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there. :(

• easyrider25

Posted

Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

• papadarv

Posted

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own.

2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one.

http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/

• SpecialK

Posted

They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.

• the weather has not been good this past week either, but fishing was still do able. Pike island is a popular spot and I am sure you can find fish there. Gold is. would be worth a try as would the area around the wolf pack. We had 4 nice walleye today and a great fish fry tonight. Heading home in the morning for the season. so good luck

• I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes

• delcecchi

Posted

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

• delcecchi

Posted

On 9/13/2016 at 4:37 PM, loadmaster said:

Well, got out of the hospital and rehab a couple of weeks ago, Its been a long haul went in on Feb 15, with some massive heart attacks.   Starting to feel better and have hit Fish a couple of times.  Thought I would check out the site and see if traffic has picked up,  Sorry to say not much different, a lot of lookers as usual and not a lot of posters

Been there and done that.... Not the site but the hospital etc

• certified jumbo

Posted

In northwest Wisconsin 26 hunting dogs have already been killed this late summer.   Already breaking the record of 23.  Be careful in the northland.

• leech~~
      Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there.
    • easyrider25
      Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down!  This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 
    • papadarv
      Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own. 2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one. http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/
    • SpecialK
      They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.