• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone fished Independence?

Ole the Guide

Since the access has been under repair has anyone been out fishing or is it too big a hassle to get on?

Appreciate any replies!

Thanks,

Ole cool.gifcool.gif

Went out to Inde today. Steep ramp! There were only three boats on the lake. Beautiful day 62 degrees.....No muskies....But had a great time with the family!

Going back next week for walleyes.

Ole cool.gif

Ole - Usually I like hearing fishing reports, but the 'ramp' report is even better. I didn't know that construction had been completed. Thanks for the info.

I hope to get out during the week during this nice stretch of weather. A November Ski would be something special!

Is it still a double lane ramp? Dock is out I assume? Has it been dredged deeper?

DB

I thought the ramp was closed until next year....How is everyone getting out on the lake?? I know there is a ramp on the north east shore but that is a private landing for people who live in the lake. If someone has any info on the public launch and if it is open...please let me know. Thank you

The ramp will be closed until next spring. There is a ramp on the North East side owned by the city of Medina, but there is NO parking. You would have to shuttle your vehicle back to the Baker Park Beach. Don't even look for a place to park near the ramp, the locals will have you towed. Ken

THE RAMP IN THE PARK IS CLOSED BUT THERE IS A RAMP JUST NORTH OF THERE IN THE RESIDENTIAL AREA. YOU CAN'T MISS IT IF YOU TAKE THE LAKESHORE DRIVE JUST NORTH OF THE PARK ENTRANCE. IT'S A BIT STEEP AND I HAD TO PUT A COUPLE OF ROCKS UNDER MY WHEELS IN ORDER TO KEEP THE BOTTOM OF MY TRAILER FROM SCRAPING. BUT ONCE YOU'RE IN IT'S GREAT! BRING A FRIEND AND HAVE THEM DRIVE OVER TO THE PARK TO PARK YOUR RIG. THEN JUST DRIVE OVER AND GET THEM.

OLE

Ole - Thanks for the info. The little ramp worked fine, but is steep and a bit narrow. Got the job done though.

Great day to be out but fishing was slow. Buddy lost something on a cowgirl, never saw it. Water temp was 40-42, greenish water.

While trolling for skis, on the graph it looks like crappies are suspended in 20-30' of water and look for walleyes in 26'. In a couple of spots they were stacked pretty good. The midlake reef was surpisingly bare.

DB

A co-worker told me that the Baker ramp is finished and open. You guys save a few eyes and crappies for me this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Independence, can anyone tell me where I could go to catch some fish. I'm taking my brother-in-law out in a couple weeks. I just bought him some gear and its his first time ice fishing. He lives near the lake which is why we chose it. I haven't been on the lake before. Maybe once in the summer like four years ago, I can't remember it though.

Doesn't matter what it is: pike on tip ups, walleyes and craps at dusk, panfish in the day...anything would be great. I'm not looking for exact honey holes here, just a general vicinity would be super helpful.

Thanks for any help.

Went out to Indy last night.Checked the ice thickness.It was at 7 1/2 inches.It was solid clear ice!

Good luck to everyone this year,and stay safe!

Went out of the access about 150-200 yards.Noone else out there,though.

CM

There should be some thinner ice just past where you were. The middle of the lake was open last Sunday. The ice around the edges have 3-4 days of extra ice.

Checked ice thickness out from Baker Park landing and the bridge access on the northwest side of the lake. Both had 6-7 inches of crystal clear ice. 1 house out from the beach and 2-3 houses out from the bridge access. Gonna give her a try tomorrow. banana.gif

hey crapie magnet how did you do? DID YA CATCH ANY OR..... JUST THE BOTTLE BASS! Ive been wanting to fish Independance for a while just was not sure on the quality of the crapies and If there was any out there. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

cool.gif

ice about 5-6 inches within 100 yards from shore. Lots of small fish. Looking like a long time until i can get my permanent out there this year