Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doser

Lowrance ifinder Expedition C

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any experience with this new product. I was going to buy the H20 C , but was told by a friend that if your going to spend the $ on H20 C you may as well spend an extra $30 and get the Expedition. Any thoughts?

I get the business from my buddies all the time for playing "Tommy Top-it" when I got an ExpeditionC when everyone else had the H2OC.

I splurged on it as an "upgrade" to get the electronic compass. My thought was that I would be using it a lot while canoeing in the BWCA, and my previous experiences with GPS units told me that you had to be moving for the unit to provide an accurate bearing. I figured I'd run into difficulties when slowing up to plot out a route or determine a portage or campsite location. The electronic compass doesn't require you to be on the move at all.

Turns out, it's a nice feature but not one that I use much. In fact, last summer I had it in a RAM mount on the canoe thwart and hardly ever changed it from the map page. (I never even got out the trusty Silva compass.) I just set the Expedition map to "Track Up" and had a continuous readout of where we were and where we were headed.

So, I'd say that the H2OC was all you would need, but maybe you'd like to listen to some mp3 song files while you're out there or record some audio notes for your waypoints... That's about the only other difference. I've never tried either one. I'm better served by having my LakeMaster or my Navionics chip in there rather than an MMC chip to store the audio stuff.

Oh, but there is that stylin' black case... smirk.gif

P.S. Take a look at my comments under I-finder voltage. in this same forum for some thoughts on possible problems with some of the ExpeditionC units and the external power cord.

Not really in the MP3 players or anything like that. Just wondering if the other features would be worth my $. Thanks for your input.

Oh, yeah, one other thing it has that has been more interesting than useful: it has a barometer and will provide weather predictions and give storm warnings based on barometric change. But this "feature" only works after the unit has been on continuously for 3 hours or so and if it is turned off for over an hour or so you have to start over on another 3 hours... It has been fairly accurate, but I've noticed that it can be affected by changes in altitude as much as any approaching front. (Looking up at the sky or listening for thunder has worked about as well... wink.gif)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

• FrazerBay

Posted

Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.

• delcecchi

Posted

Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.   

Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 

• jigginjim

Posted

I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.

• bassbouncer

Posted

I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.

• RoosterMan

Posted

Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this
    • CigarGuy

Posted

We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.

• knoppers

Posted

seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.

• ANYFISH2

Posted

First off I am not a waterfowl hunter, so this info is second hand.

Here in the Morrison/E.Todd cty area, the hunt really seemed slow considering the weather conditions.  Although a few birds were shot early in morning the day seemed slow by most accounts around here.

Good luck to all.

1 person likes this
    • she's getting big

• ZachD
      if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you
    • FrazerBay
      Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.
    • delcecchi
      Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.    Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 
    • jigginjim
      I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.
    • bassbouncer
      I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.