Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chucker34

Heater in Blind

6 posts in this topic

Anyone ever use one in their pop-up blind for bowhunting? I'm considering getting a Mr. Buddy Heater for this late season. I have 3 tags, none of which I've filled yet. Hoepfully that will change some this weekend.

I'm thinking safety, noise, and odor would be the big concerns. For safety, the Mr. Buddy Heater looks relatively safe. I could keep it away from the walls of the blind pretty easily as I have one of the bigger hub style ones out there. In fact, I think its the largest made commercially. I also think that ventilation shouldn't be a problem given I'll have several windows open and there is a window on top of the blind that could be cracked open too. Plus the heater is supposed to have an automatic low oxygen shutoff.

The ad for the heater says its quiet and odorless but does anyone know how true that is. I'm thinking a very low hum or noise wouldn't be so much of a concern as I hunt in a somewhat noisy area (near roads and houses and farms). It would be more a matter of smell coming from the heater.

I have the smaller Buddy heater that I use for ice fishing. I have been very happy with it, and think it would be a good heater for deer hunting.

I have never noticed a smell, but you know how great a deer's sense of smell is. On the high setting, the heater is silent to my ears. On low, there is a bit of a low grade hiss. If there is any wind at all this sound will probably get gobbled up by the wind noise.

As a tank of propane is beginning to run out, it will hiss and make some noise as well. I get about 4 hours on a full one pound tank.

I think the Deer will smell that from 10 miles away but it may "cover"your sent somewhat.If you need heat go for it.c63

I have used "sunflower" heaters in the deer stand for several years and almost always have deer come by fairly close. I don't think the niose has any impact on the deer if they are used to a little noise. Can they smell it? It doesn't seem to bother them all that much. Maybe the big boy sits back in the brush but if you aren't there because your frozen stiff at home you'll never know.

how about one of those little coleman cat heaters?

I have used my Buddy heater in the blind without any negative effect.Sure maybe a deer might smell it but as far as I know it has not cost me a deer.It is sure nice to sit longer and be nice and warm and not wear a heavy coat.

Archery hunting may be more of a concern,but my rifle hunting spot I am shooting anywhere from 20-350 yards.

When you hunt in a totally enclosed blind,12-15 feet in the air,I just cannot believe the deer are going to be bothered by it.I have also used it in my Double Bull blind but it doesnt work as well there for total heat as the windows loose to much heat.It does help keep the hands warm.