• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

There goes the money for a good pitcher for the Twins

IFallsRon

Twins pick up Silva's option

The Twins on Tuesday picked up their $4.35 million option for pitcher Carlos Silva for next season.

The Twins picked up their $4.35 million option for pitcher Carlos Silva for next season on Tuesday.

Silva was 11-15 with a 5.94 ERA with 32 walks and 70 strikeouts in 36 games. He was fourth on the team in victories and second in starts and innings pitched.

Silva's contract stipulated that the Twins had until five days after the World Series to decide whether to pick up the righthander's 2007 option.

If they declined, they would have paid a $100,000 buyout, and Silva would have been eligible for salary arbitration.

Silva, 27, made $3.2 million last million. His ERA ranked among the worst in the majors.

Puke is right!

I hope he can find his sinker, but I really hope we are not relying on it. We still need to pick up a veteran starter and I believe Ryan will.

With Liriano likely not in the equation next year, I think the Twins figured they better not be letting starting pitching go.

worst offseason move for the Twins they could of made, what a joke bringing this guy back for that kinda money.

These are the things that make it REALLY hard to be a Twins fan sometimes. WTF are they thinking. With a limited budget this is one of the stupidest moves in the history of our franchise.WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? This guy is an (Contact Us Please), he has the worst attitude on the team. I wonder how the other players feel about this?

2nd worst decision next to picking up Buehlerehle's option in MLB so far.

Right now, this looks like a terrible move. Silva was garbage this past season. But if he can figure out what his problem was and get back to old form, he would be a solid third starter again. But thats a big if.

He is a disease. On the mound, in the clubhouse, and I am afraid in his own mind. Buzz, I too had to put down the bowl of Haloween candy and puke when I heard this tonight. I never thought they would pick up his option. Why??? What do they see?? He sucks. Worst move since they brought in "R.D." from New York. I am not sure what makes me more ill. Lohse winning arbitration the past two years, or this stiff coming back for what is it-almost 5 mil? Unreal.

How is this??? We don't sign him, we lose him...this way, with as bad as pitching is, somebody might bite and take him off our hands.

Guys, guys, guys, let's not get too worked up over this. Silva is not a great pitcher, but his body of work throughout his career has been MLB acceptable. If we wouldn't have picked up his option, someone else would have paid him. Starting pitching is at a premium epecially in the AL. If he doesn't produce, he's on a one year deal, so trading or basically dumping him at the deadline is an option.

I will bet money that we still sign another veteran starter. Whether that be: Ted Lilly, Greg Maddux, Kip Wells, Andy Pettite(yes, this is who I want), or Brad Radke.

Unless Liriano is able to pitch this season, then I really don't care about the rotation as long as we can make the playoffs. Sant, Lir, and Boof will take us to the series if we make the playoffs.

Even if Liriano comes back, we will need some type of insurance in case he goes down.

1.Santana

2.Boof-dog

3.Liriano(hope for it, otherwise FA lefty or Perkins)

4.Silva

5.Garza

Fill ins: Baker, Perkins, Slowey(I will bet we see him next year somtime)

I cannot believe they picked up Saliva's option. Do you think they did this, because they already knew that Liriano would need the surgery? Either way. This was a huge mistake on the Twins part.

Like all the Cubbie fans say here in The Windy City...

Wait Till Next Year...I mean, The Next Year. Any bids on Mr. Buehrle from the Twinks, we have him signed sealed just not delivered. He would go great with Mr. Silva. 9 mil and he's yours!!! Windy

I think they signed him because of the uncertainty with Liriano. Even without surgery, he was still a question mark. Silva is not Cy young, but if he can find that sinker, he is an inning eater.

You can keep him Windy.

I rarely ever hear the "next year" talk around Minnesota. We are in it almost every year or have been since Gardy started running the ship, so every year we at least have a chip and a chair.

only reason he was brought back is 4 the experience.. w/ the franchise out cuz of Tommy John surgery and Brad retiing wed only have 1 vet pitcher in Johan...bad move?perhaps,but id rather give the ball to a vet who can figure things out than 1 vet and 4 rookies..besides silva was 2-0 against the yankees last yr..lol

I dont think it was a bad move that they pick it up for Silva, with the rookie having tommy john surgry, its going to be tuff for the twins to pick someone up. It might pay off for the twins, but it might not, best thing is if it dont you can always trade the guy to pick up a prospect in the minors.

Silva had his strecthes of success this year, so potential is there. Twins had to take another chance with Lirano down and out. Silva needs to go back and be good at two pitches, not mediocre with three pitches. Most of us were glad to see Kenny Rogers go two years ago, would have looked good in Twins uni this last year. So do you take the chance the same happens with Silva for 4 mil. Chump change for a starter now days.

They picked up Silva? AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg confused: shocked.gifooo.gif AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!%^&*@#% mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif^&* shocked.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifooo.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I don't feel so good confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Quote:

2008 will be our year!!!! cant wait!!!!!!!!

Do I sense a bit of irony in that statement wink.gif Next year could be a frustrating one for the home team.