• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer opener superstitions?!

Phunnyfarm

My fiance's family has introduced me to the outdoors, and now my favorite things to do are hunt and fish. My future father-in-law is one hell of a guy, and he invited me out last year and sat me in a stand by myself with one of his rifles, and I actually got a nice buck (beginner's luck)!

Now that it'll be my second opener, I can't even sleep at night because I am so excited. I've already made my gear-list for stuff I need to bring up north this weekend, and I found myself adding things to the list only because I had them last year. My best example is I have to bring my orange hat, because that's that hat I was wearing last year when I got the buck, this summer when I caught my first northern on open water, and 2 weekends ago when I got my first 2 pheasants in South Dakota.

Does anyone else have any gear (besides the gun!), clothing articles, lucky charms in your pocket, and/or rituals that they can't go without when it comes to this Saturday morning?!

Every time Dad and I fill gas before a hunt, we wander around the parking lot of the gas station looking for lost change. A few years back, I found a penny before a hunt and shot a nice mulie buck. The next day, Dad shot a nice one as well. Ever since this has been our superstition. I'm sure we have looked like a couple of (Contact Us Please) on more than one occasion wandering around the parking lot with our head down, but that's all part of what makes hunting with Dad such a great experience.

I have a hat that my father purchased for me at the Fourtown Store my first year deer hunting. The hat was purchased 24 years ago, is a little worn and tattered but is guaranteed to at least be in my pack on opening day. Every firearm deer I have shot has been immortalized in a photo with me wearing that hat. I guess it is not only a “superstition” but a tradition as well.

It says "I have been deer hunting for many years and haven’t got one yet, but if one walks through the Fourtown bar he's dead meat".

The other is my 30-06 that dad got for me at a gun show in Devils Lake ND. It is a 1903-A3 that was converted to a sporting rifle and he paid $125.00 for it. I have used it since the beginning of my deer hunting career and it gets used each year until it puts one down or the season is over. I call it MOSS, “My old sure shot”, as it has never missed, literally. I have never missed a deer with that gun since I have started hunting, but now that I have said that I will probably miss the 30 Pointer this year. It seems to have changed over the years as I have replaced the stock and scope on it a couple times and rebarreled it once, but its heart has never left.

Between the hat and MOSS the deer don’t have a chance.

I have a couple- I HATE to see a good buck along the road in the last couple of days before opener, for reasons unknown it seems unlucky to me. Also, I carry in my fanny pack one or two of those gold Sacajawea coins; my Dad gave me one a couple of years before he died, and told me that they are lucky for hunters; so in his memory, I carry them into the woods with me. CH

Gotta have one shot of Jager Miester tongue.gif(means master hunter in German) the night before. Haven't had a skunked season yet.

Have to have my Deer hat that Grandpa gave me. First year dear hunting bagged a deer with it on. Now I at least have it in the backpack while I'm out.

I have a folded up drawing of a deerhunting scene that my son drew for me. He was five at the time. Gave it to me before I left for deercamp. ........... He's 22 now and hunts with me. I still keep that folded up drawing in my pack.

On Friday night I ususlly dress up in my grandma's underware and dance around my room and film myself.

I don't shoot many deer, but I can't imagine it doesn't help.

Did I share to much?

OMG...talk about wet your pants funny...and if that wasn't meant for a joke, well have fun

I dont laugh out loud at the computer much..thank god I didn't have any pop in my mouth or it would be all over the keys... tongue.gif

Stop at the VFW on the way up and donate 10. The opener eve. we do the 10 mile drive and salivate at all the deer we don't see the following morning!

Quote:

On Friday night I ususlly dress up in my grandma's underware and dance around my room and film myself.

I don't shoot many deer, but I can't imagine it doesn't help.

Did I share to much?

Are they the padded seat type grin.gif? Because I would have to guess those would be pretty nice to have for sitting in a stand all day.

I forgot about the bar that I went to last year the night before I got my first buck. I am definitely going to have to stop in there again this year! Now, if I could only remember what I had on my leftover pizza that I ate in the stand that morning...Hmmm.