Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northdrifter

Frontier to Birchdale Report

12 posts in this topic

Howdy all,

Just was checking to see if anyone has been out in the past couple days? I'm heading up tomorrow and wanted to see if any color or method has been working the best?

Been fishing the Rainy in the fall for 15 years now and have learned that if your don't catch a fish at the spot your at within 15-30 minutes... move...also go for at least 3 days... example... last year... brought a new crew up and they fished the first day. It was really slow, only caught a few fish. So they left the next day, what a mistake. I had a nice eye in the boat within 10 minutes of launching.. That day we caught more that enough and also had 6 between 25"-29"... this was the same spot we fished the day before... The rule for the river... be persistent.. it'll happen...

Enough rambling, also, anyone try trolling?

(by chance... just checking to see if the crew that guides on the St. Croix reads these postings...we'll see you in Baudette if your heading up)

i am also interested in throwing sum raps anyone ever try b4? does it work??? also, is there sum smallie action too???

I was out of Birchdale Wed. caught about 26, largest was 22", tried pulling cranks with no success the jig and minnow was the way to go that day. Good Luck.

We fished Frontier a half day Fri, a full Sat. and 1/3rd day today. Overall about 50-60 fish I guess, I didnt count really hard. Biggest was a bit over 23" and smallest about 6". grin.gif

Nothing was consistant as far as color, jigs size or wether we drifted, anchored or slip drifted. Shiners, goldens and rainbows all worked equally as well. Never used goldens up there before but the small to medium sized ones worked best.

We trolled cranks and got a few but not many so we went back to jigging. Purples and greens caught fish.

A JR's rattle spoon in gold worked well when I put it on. Maybe I should have used it more often than I did. confused.gif The fish seemd to really smack that when the jigs were getting pecked at most of the time.

MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR STINGER HOOKS! Also spinner attatchments for your jigs are a good idea.

Not many big fish caught in the 3 days we were there. 1 that was 29 something and a FAT 25" were about all we heard of.

We stayed at Dutchmans and I would recomend them to anyone who wants to hit the river. Within minutes of all the popular landings.

I want to get back up but with work and the weather turning south I may be done til spring up there.

Dress warm and good luck.

wow. what a weekend!!! three of us made it up from st cloud saturday morning. on water at vidas at sunup, went up and down from there. they started out small, but got bigger. around 9.30am sat i had a 55 inch, 26 inch girth sturgeon and around 1pm had a FAT 25 inch eye. the 3 of had about 35 fish total,kept 7, 4 northerns and a smallie, jigging all day. sunday went out of landing in baudette, upstream. one the guys had a 29, 28, and a 26 eye. all hogs. had a few others that were big but lost em. today we had about 35, kept enuf to fill out our limit and will b eating good this week. jigging with different colors, but rainbows workt best and had to have stingers. stayed at dutchman sat nite...great place, i'd stay there again, maybe next fall when i try the fall bite again.

Anyall I think I talked to you at the Dutchman. We were in room 13 in the new side across the road from the office.

I had the maroon F-150 and black Lund Explorer and 115 Yamaha. With a tall, old and ugly grey haired guy. Probably had a barley pop in his hand. grin.gif

Northlander

Im not that tall just ugly and grey ( and I do like beer)

Randoid

Yes you are and yes you do! grin.gif

northlander, sorri that wasnt me, i was in the room sleeping, you talkt to joe, he was in our group tho.

Ok sounds good.

Appreciate the good word guys! Wish I would have had more time to hang out last W/E but life was really crazy right then! Seems like everything happens at once.

I did fish Monday from 10:30-12:30 & did OK. Had to almost max the troller to hold in the wind but had the best slamming bites of the fall. Might have had some tail suckers but never felt them in the wind. Had 2-16" & 2-18" & had on 2 heavy fish I lost. Everyone of them just hammered the bait. Switched to my Power-Pro rig so I could feel better in the wind. Love the stuff for sensitivity but I do tend to loose heavy fish on it.

Group of three guys with us reported a 70 fish day on Mon. with multiple upper 20's. These guys are hardcore! They went out this afternoon in 40mph gusts, released a 24, & replaced the keepers they ate last night.

Looks like the weather is going to warm back up (avg. high is 48 now) so why don't you all go deer hunting so I can get in a full day on the Rainy instead of these 2 hour flashes!

Doug if your losing fish on PP you probably have your drag set too tight on the hookset. Set it to slip a bit on the hookset otherwise you open up them soft mouths and unless you get a hook in something solid they can shake the hook out. Another option is a 3-4' shocker leader of mono tied onto your PP with a back to back uni knot or even a small barrel swivel.

Nice meeting you and your wife. Ill see ya next spring.