Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

Where to get Redtails

17 posts in this topic

Hey kids, thought I would post this for everyone. Was at Blue Ribbon bait on Century yesterday. They are now stocking redtials. He said he keep stocking as long as they are selling.

what town?

Its in Oakdale on Century Ave. North of Stillwater Blvd and south of hwy 5.

thanks... I'd like to get opinions as to thoughts on whether redtails work consistently superior to good ol' fatheads? I've had pretty good results with fatheads the last couple of times out but wonder if redtails would push the catch-rate up a bit...

Yep, Oakdale. The Redtails sure worked great when I went out with Walli1. I don't know how much better than fatheads they are but Walli swears by them and I saw good results with them. They are a bit pricey though, about 80 cents each. They are very lively and last though. Had one on the line for 3 hours yesterday and was still kickin when I took it off. Had a few more in the baitwell and they are still kickin'.

SWEET AND ONLY 2 BLOCKS AWAY smile.gif Josh Stevenson is a good guy, he will keep them around. Lets make sure and buy them so he has a good reason to keep them! Since the new ownership the place has really cleaned up and has a lot of good stuff in stock that you can't find elsewhere.

Sandmannd...Did you say you had a redtail on your line for three hours and it was still kickin?Sounds to me like they were not workin that great.I like redtails if im lookin for a big fish or two but for numbers in the fall fatheads rule.The unfortunate part of redtls is the price,availability,and the silver bass that may gobble them up before you find the eyes.Ive actually caught one my biggest eyes on the river on a fathead and jig,as im sure the majority of the people have, that fish the river.Remember guys,a large part of your fishing success is based on the confidence you have in what your using,whether your using rdtls,fatheads,suckers,cranks or plastics all will catch fish.Dont limit yourselfs or you might limit your success wich means you wont be bringing home a limit... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Quote:

Sandmannd...Did you say you had a redtail on your line for three hours and it was still kickin?Sounds to me like they were not workin that great.

Good one Croixeyes, are you in police work? LOL!

I hear ya Croixeyes, had that on line line. We jigged with fatheads too and just nothing. When we pulled off we were talking to someother guys that were out and they had nothing to show for the day. Pretty much just a bad day out there. First time I've come home with nothing to show off the river, but it was bound to happen.

Sandmannd.......Yea we all have days like that,keep in mind that there are other fish that swim in the ole river.Walleyes are probably the main target for most, but if yer not finding them,a good silver bass attack can save the day in the fall.Crappie,cats,smallmouth etc.can be alot of fun.Fall is also a good time to cover and learn more water on the Croix,few large craft remain out and the scenery is beautiful...........Good luck out there.........

It's all about confidence, just wait till ice up i know i will nail them crappies> i may even get my bueatiful pink shack on the river this year, those mud puppies are just too good to resist, and the liberal limits on the croix wet my appetite for them taste fish! laugh.gif

TTTTTRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,

Maybe this year, maybe this is the crappie explosion year!!!!???

Turkman

I was planning on going out this weekend. Went to the doctor yesterday (had a surgery in Sept and still have some extreme pain at times) and he couldn't find nothing. Told me I need more rest and to treat it like I just got out of the hospital. I figured I could still hit the water, but the boss (I mean wife) put the foot down and put me under house arrest until the pain is gone. Probably for the best, I hear the boat calling from out the window and want to go, then she comes by and closes the blinds. I don't know if I'll get out for any more of the fall bite, might just have to look forward to ice coming.

We are due for a good crappie year it has been a long time, 99-2002 i averaged over 10 crappies per trip, since then 10 in a trip is an awsome day. but the size has increased i got a 15 incher last winter which was my first out there after a bout a dozen 14.5. I'm sure you know the little pink shack with the big window i speak of, stop by anytime, the beveraes are usually cold. laugh.gif

I've only been on the river once in the winter. Where's a good place to start out there? I'd love to stop and shoot the breeze with ya.

I haven't been out down around Bayport for awhile myself. Is the Hub's point access still accessible? (it's the one that used to be the ice bridge from Wisconsin for all the Andersen workers). I miss living down that way SOMETIMES smirk.gif

Bayport is the usual place but fish can be caught from stillwater to prescott, I'm usually near the power plant, but i really want to try near the bluffs. Anyone know if the ice is safe down that way? The road Anderson's used to plow is still open to the public, anyone know why they quit plowing it?