Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blap

Will I have the hunt of a lifetime?

12 posts in this topic

Hello, Im from Michigan. A group of 4 of us are coming to LaCrescent to hunt. Never been there. Just wondering If the trip will be a good time or not? Meaning do you think we will see alot of deer? Thanks for the input...

Can't help you out with the number of deer you will see, but isn't every hunt a good hunt? Especially those spent with friends and family?

I have to agree with you

Thanks

Blap, welcom to MN deer hunting! I am from Hokah, a small town just west of La Crescent. I have been hunting now for 12 years in that area and I love it. If the weather cooperates by giving us cool temps and cloud cover, you should have a very enjoyable hunt. I can't guarentee that everyone in your group will bag a B & C buck, but you should see some deer and hopefully some nice ones.

Write a post after the season to let us know how you did.

Where are you hunting? Just out of curiosity.

Good luck!

Cupper

Blap ,

Start getting your cardio in shape. You will be humping some large hills. I've hunted the area for 20 yrs. It wears me out every year.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks for the info, that will help alot( I guess I better start running to get in shape) We are not sure where we are hunting. State land somewhere. We are getting there thursday to scout a little and try to find a spot. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks Brian

Your basic good hunting spots will apply here (trail crossings, funnels, benches, saddles, etc...). Try figure out where feeding and bedding areas are and set up in between.

Hint: Sidehill trails about 50 yds. below the peek of the ridge, near the point of the ridge. Sit all day.

Oh, forgot about the hills, I am from the area so it is normal to me, but out-of-towners always mention the hills. Yeah, be ready for steep bluff terrain, thick cover, and shots 100 yds or under.

Any specific area of state or federal land would be greatly appreciated right around La Crescent. From what I see there is alot around there. Is it good just south of La Crescent about two miles?

should I focus on finding some state land to hunr South or North of La Crescent?

Thanks Brian

Honestly, any land in that area will be good. Since you will be hunting public or state land, you will just need to get out early to beat the rush (there will be lots of hunters out)

As for speciffic pieces of state/public land, I can't reccomend any. I am blessed to have a nice big piece of private land down there.

Sorry I can't be of more help in that dept.

Thanks for the input. Good Luck to you

Hi there. This is Brian. We had 3 guys there from Michigan this year. We hung out with Mannix and Clint. Not sure if we met you at Hummers or not? Write Back