Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gadgetman

lab itching furiously....

6 posts in this topic

Anybody have a solution for my hound that gets all itchy every year when hunting season is in full swing? When I let her out of her kennel she sits down and starts itching under her front arm pits like crazy. I dont know if her skin gets dry or what. Somebody suggested that she might have some allergies to dust etc. that she is encountering in the field. Any thoughts? She lives out side all year and we live in the country so its not like she is isloated in a home in the city where she never sees any dust and pollen. Just looking for a way to ease her itching

My yellow lab does the same thing each year as the hunting season gets going. I give him a Benadryl tablet (in peanut butter) twice a day and I rub lotion or preferably vaseline on his pits and groin area. My wife gives me a hard time, but it helps him out. I was told the Benadryl is safe for him, I did it last year and this year.

Hope it works for you!

How about a good old fashioned bath?

loose - a bath won't help much. It's often an allergic reaction to certain grasses. My brother had a chocolate lab that would have terrible itching/scratching/overall misery after a day of pheasant hunting. They ended up getting meds from the vet if I remember right.

Stayman, how much do you give your dog and how much does it weigh. Also, doesnt it make them lethargic? I had considered a bath but figured that would only further dry her skin out, and the prospect of doing that every time I go hunting doesnt appeal to me at all crazy.gif

My lab weights about 80lbs. I give to 2 Wal-dryl's - 2x per day. My vet told me to make sure the main active indredient is "Diphanhydramine". It help's mine a little....she get going at times during the night-licking and chewing. The vet also told me to give her baths in Selsun Blue....the dandruff shampoo, 1x per week. The thing that has worked the best is "Temaril P", it is a only available from your vet.