Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Frank

Headed out trailing!

15 posts in this topic

I hunted tonight and had one small buck come by, but passed on him. Just before dark, a nice doe came in and I made what seemed to be a good shot on her. I trailed her for about 15-20 yards and backed out. Had good blood, but opted to pick up a brighter light and a couple buddies for help tracking.

Wish me luck!

Good luck in finding your doe. Did you make a good hit? I saw 5 tonight but just a little guy close enough. The others were on a different trail and one of them acted like a buck but I didn't get a good enough look to tell. Kind of my luck this year, been seeing deer but either in the wrong place or no high percentage shot. Oh well, the season is long from over yet. Good luck again Dave and give us an update.

Just got back from trailing. Had GREAT blood for about 20 yards then it just seemed to dry up! Did manage to find a drop here and a drop there through a standing corn field. All blood rubbing off on stalks was low. The shot looked to be perfect, but after seeing the blood trail, I think that at the angle of entry, I was too low. I was only 10 yards from her when I shot her... should have known better than to aim low. We found our last blood about 350 - 375 yards from my stand, where she exited the corn field and into a wide open plowed dirt field. I will be back at that location at first light. Hopefully things go a little better in the morning. I'm sure it will be a sleepless night.

Was back at the spot at sunrise today. Found a few drops of blood in the dirt, but after that, nothing! I don't know what to think. I glassed the entire plowed field very well then began circling to try finding more blood. Came up empty handed after that search. There are way too many tracks in the dirt to pinpoint which are hers. I also worked the edge of the corn to see if I could find a re-entry point where she may have doubled back to cover. After that, my only other option was to check a small 20 x 50 yard slough that was about 500 yards away. Nothing there either. I'm kicking myself for bad shot placement. No other excuses on this one. Only thing I can do now is learn from this one.

Sounds like you did everything you could to find her. I guess it wasn't meant to bee....

Yea I sure did. Still a sickening feeling when you loose one. Hopefully she will make it though. The small amount of blood other than at the very beginning makes me think that I was low, underneath all vitals and that she may make it. I know I didn't break any bones with the shot. It was very calm and I would have heard bones snapping from only 10 yards.

I once used a pendulem sight which compensates for close high angle shots and when I used it I never had such good hits.I told my son we need to go back to those as it really helps at close range.One can help eliminate human error.

Sorry to hear that ya didnt find her David. I know from experience how hard that is. Like ya said, just think through what happened and how you can avoid it next time. One thing I did is spend a bit more time studying those deer anatomy pics that show the location of the bone structure and the organs. The other thing I did was a lot of reading about shot placement. I know its been said on here before too, but especially on higher angled shots visualize not only your entrance point, but also think about where you want the arrow to exit so that it will definitely hit as many vitals as possible. Perosnally I wont take those high angle shots anymore, but thats just me. Good luck in the future and may all your blood trails be short!

Great advice above!...

a tid bit of advice i have for you is don't rush it. If it is dead it will be dead. First thing i do is find that arrow and smell it yes smell it. you will acquire a smell for different organs and when you have really chunked bone you can smell that too. Second thing i do is look at the hair. Different color hair and different kind of hair are in different places. You can learn alot from these two things next thing i do is learn his/hers foot print. Sometimes they make it easy on you and they have a dragging foot or a chip out of their hoof and you can recognize it no problem. i once tracked a deer for 2 days cause of a foul hit an i got so intimate with the deer i could pick her track out of 100 others because i learned her so well. Get intimate on you hands and knees. i hope that you never need any of these little tricks and then when you stick them they all die 50 yards way but chances are you will be pulling another late nite with the lantern sometime in your life. ike

Do you know of any sights online that show good pictures of the anatomy?

If you do a Google Search for "Whitetail Deer anatomy" you will get plenty of information.

Thanks for all of the replies!! Believe me, I did my fair share of trailing this one on my hands and knees with my head lamp and mag lite leading the way.

I trailed a deer for a hunting partner last year in ND that had an unusually pointy hoof. This was in the snow with good blood so it didn't come into play, but I took the time to follow up the blood trail anyways hoping to learn something along the way. A couple of the guys in the hunting party headed straight up to where they saw the deer stumbling as it entered the trees and recovered the buck. Dad and I hung back and trailed it out since we had extra daylight to burn. Even if I watch a deer fall, I like to trail it out anyways to improve my tracking skills for the times like the other night when I actually need them!

Some of the best deer anatomy pics were found in the forums on the Mathews web site. Look under the forums section, and you will find them, or like Deitz said google "deer anatomy"

One thing I noticed when I looked at some deer anatomy pictures and drawings is that the shoulder bone is actually farther forward and farther up than I thought. In other words, instead of shooting for the crease where the front leg is, shoot a little further forward for a better chance of shooting the heart and lungs rather than back into the guts.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• 750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.

• How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water. 

If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog. 

If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• ZachD
      750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.
    • MattL
      How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water.  If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog.  If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.
    • easyrider25
      Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?
    • MattL
      She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 
    • delcecchi
      Maybe that is how they can stay in business