Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Country

Summer sausage

10 posts in this topic

We made venison summer sausage last weekend ooo.gif Yes, it is good. But I like it a little more smokey than the rest of the crew. It does have ground pork butt in it. I normally slow cook it in the stove, then crank it up at the end to get it up to 160 on the inside. My question is, would it be o.k. to use my charcoal smoker for the first hour to increase the smoke taste, then finish it in the stove? I might add that the smoke flavor we presently have in it comes from liquid smoke. Just wondering if anyone out there has tried this. I will be cooking the second batch this weekend. Thanks. BC

Cheffrey is very bussy getting ready for the Grand Superior Lodge Wild Game feed on Saturday but Im sure when he does see this he will lend a helping hand. Im sure he has a few tricks up his sleeve for ya.

Anyone else going to the Wild Game Feed? 6pm Sat. There will be a film crew there so where all your FM gear if ya show.

Have fun at the feed Steve. I wish I could go. I am in the woods all day Saturday and in return I get the kids that night so mama can do something. Hopefully Cheffrey or anyone else that may have tried this can help me out. BC

BC

If Ya want I can fire up my smoker and smoke some for ya its big enough to smoke 6 turkeys ,,,its up to You

Randoid

Mark I would smoke it if thats the flavor you like. Temp is crucial when making sausage so I wouldn't be cranking the heat up, just let it reach an internal temp slowly through the smoking process. Get it too hot and it'll drip, once that happens your not making sausage anymore, your just cooking meat. You can bring it over and throw it in my smoker.

I'll call you when its all done grin.gif

Steve, this is the first I've heard about the game dinner.

Leila and I will try and make it.

Steve,I wish I could go to the Game Feed with you, but I have to go to SD to chase some roosters. I hope to get to the 1 in the spring. Have fun and have plenty of the South shore brew for me.

Frank I called ya and left ya a couple messages a few days ago on the cel. No big deal Ill be there if ya make it.

Randy, thanks for the offer bud, but I think I will try my smoker then to the oven shortly after. Frank, well, I just know better than to leave it with you. wink.gif BC

BC, I would be hesitant to throw it in the oven, may dry it out a touch. Slow smoking it under 200 degrees would be the ideal way with a center temp reading of 165 to ensure it fully cooking through. Head to Gander and get some wood chips to throw in with the charcoal to give it a real smoke flavor.

As far as the game dinner, lots of butchering going on the past two days between partridge, pheasant, rattlesnake, antelope, caribou........... Keeps a guy busy. We got a call on Monday from MPLS KSTP channel 5's "Jason Davis on the road" that they will be filming for a Jan/Feb segment. If you do make it be sure to come in your finest FM gear as they will be roaming all over the room talking with tables looking for entertaining personalities.

Cheffrey, my oven goes down to 175. I cook it at that for 4 hours then amp it up to 300 the last half hour. That gives me an internal temp. right around 165/170. I just thought I would try to throw it in my charcoal smoker for the first hour to smoke it up more than it already is. I don't need to run to Gander, I always use alder. It's everywhere and it's free. It also seems to give a strong smoke flavor. Thanks for the response, and good luck on the feed (wish I could make it frown.gif) BC