Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wannabeinely

Shooting clays on public land?

7 posts in this topic

Is it legal to shoot clay pigeons on public land?

I've heard both legal and illegal, and even "illegal but there's enough public land around Ely that you don't need to worry about getting caught" good answer huh?

My brother in law really wants to go out and shoot next time we're both up there but I'm not real excited about doing that during open hunting season. If it's not legal then I can use that in my argument. Thanks for any info.

Legal or not, I have an issue with the "littering" part of shooting clays. I've seen plenty of spots on public land where slobs shoot clays and leave piles of empty shells laying around as well as other garbage.

The other thing that rubs me is that those clays are made out of petrochemicals. I don't like the idea of leaving petroleum based products left to "decompose" on public land for thousands of years.

I can't answer if it's legal or not to shoot clays on public land, but I do know that you can get fined for littering, and in essence, shooting clays is littering unless you pick up every last piece of busted clay and shotshell.

sorry for the rant

Quote:

Legal or not, I have an issue with the "littering" part of shooting clays. I've seen plenty of spots on public land where slobs shoot clays and leave piles of empty shells laying around as well as other garbage.

The other thing that rubs me is that those clays are made out of petrochemicals. I don't like the idea of leaving petroleum based products left to "decompose" on public land for thousands of years.

I can't answer if it's legal or not to shoot clays on public land, but I do know that you can get fined for littering, and in essence, shooting clays is littering unless you pick up every last piece of busted clay and shotshell.

sorry for the rant

I agree with you. That is exactly why I don't want to do it. I have come accross many of the same piles of crap. In Aug. I came accross a pile of hundreds of shells. I filled a plastic bag to throw in the garbage back in town and I didn't make a dent in the pile. If it's illegal then I have more pull in saying why we shouldn't do it. He thinks it's fine because we'd pick up the shells and that the clays are biodegradable and fine for the environment.

maybe there are biodegradable clays? The ones I bought from walmart a few years ago had the disclaimer stating they were made with petrochems...

I had an experience a few years back with some target shooters while bow hunting on public lands ...since I was wearing camo I was not seen by these shooters and I had pellets and bullits (22 cal) flying past me ,I may have stepped on 2 of the 6 steps going up to my stand on my way down,,I didnt have a cell phone with at the time but some one called the sherrif and these people were fined for target practicing during hunting season on public land ,,Food for thought ,,,You may not know who or what may be behind Your target during hunting season

Randoid

Know you target and beyond? who or what might be where? well we must all think shocked.gifshocked.gif who is out there Be safe. smile.gifsmile.gif.

Thanks for the input guys. I think you helped me make my case. My brother in-law went up to Ely this weekend and didn't bring his gun and box of clays. I hope to get up there myself next weekend to chase some grouse. smile.gif