• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transport Question.

not_nuf_time

My son and I are going to South Dakota this weekend to hunt. On Friday we plan to hunt some WMA on the way out, since it's his first time out hunting I want to break him in with just the two of us, before we're out with a bigger group in so dak.

My question is if we do get one or two birds in Minnesota how do we transport without taking away from our legal bag limit in South Dakota? Thanks.

The only way to stay safe that I can think of would be to drop your Minnesota birds off at a locker plant and have them store the birds for you until you return. This doesn't help you once you get back to Minnesota with both birds from both states. Otherwise bring the grill or fry pan and have some fresh duck for lunch. Nothing better than a hot meal on a cold morning at the tailgate. A little garlic and some Lowrys and fry or grill them. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. cool.gif

I think if you dress them properly, leaving a wing or head attached (check the regs to be sure) and have a valid MN license in possesion, you'll be fine.

Think about the opposite, if I goto SoDak to hunt pheasants and five days later come back with 15 birds, do I have to stop at the border and eat them all??? NO! As long as I have a SoDak license and the attached head I'm good to travel anywhere.

If you leave the head and wing and have a license your fine.

I am leaving for South Dakota on Friday also. I will be hunting both North and South Dakota everyday. It is leagal if you do it by the book. If all goes well I could come back with 27 roosters.

Don't forget option three which is to leave one leg attached. I do this so I don't have to worry about the feathers when it comes time to prepare the pheasant for the table. All you have to do is lop off the last leg rinse and cook.