Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Head

Birch Lake in fall?

5 posts in this topic

How is the walleye fishing on Birch Lake in October? I've never fished Birch before, but I've always wanted to. I have a little free time this weekend and was wondering if Birch would be a good place to fish eyes this weekend?

Anyplace else you would recommend?

Mil Lacs or Rainy Lake or Rainy River.

Thanks for the reply Northlander. Those are definately the traditial fall hotspots. I just had a chance to be in the Ely area, so I thought maybe I'd run out on Birch. I wish I was going on your trip to the Rainy River that you posted about, but I can't break away at that time. I was up on the Rainy/LOTW last week and absolutely froze my ####'s off!!

Have fun on your trip!

Fish head, Shagawa is an easier lake to read for walleyes than the sprawling and difficult Birch, and fall fishing on Shag is excellent. Fish a 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig with a good-sized minnow and cast into shoreline or island shores and sloping points in the morning and evening, working the bait slowly. They've finally finished redoing the public landing along the south shore near Grand Ely Lodge, so getting on and off is easy again.

I was on Birch last weekend. I was freezing windy and snowed like crazy. We had no luck with any species. We targeted walleye and only caught one 16.5" and a 22" northern in two full days of fishing. I would try somewhere else. The water is low and there are alot of rocks to watch out for.