Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
deadminnowcatcher

wounded dear question

deadminnowcatcher

my nephew hit a buck tonight and his dad video taped it. It was a broadside shot and the arrow was low and back. the arrow had guts on it. The dear went about 10 yards and stopped. It was standidng with its back hunched up. It then slowly ran with its back hunched. Is this something we should wait till morning to look for???? They did not look for bloood and just quietly got out of woods. What has been your experince with these kinds of hits??? do they leave a blood trail???

gurkster

I would wait until morning. Hopefully you marked the last location that you saw him. The hope is that if he is not pushed, that he will bed down and bleed out. If gut shot and pushed he could run quite a ways. With the cool weather the deer should still be fine overnight as well. Good luck and take your time tracking it. One thing that I do is use toilet paper to mark the blood trail. At this time of year it is easy to see and looking back will help determine its course, and if you forget to pick some of it up later it is bio-degradable. Good luck on the search, and post when you find him. Also, if you haven't watch your video as that may give signs as to just how bad he is hit and possibly his course of direction depending on what was filmed.

gurkster

I should also add to look up ahead as you track in case you jump him, and it can also help you determine his possible course of travel. If he feels safe he will follow the terrain in a manner much like you might. The easiest path from A to B. Check the thick stuff where he may bed down. When tracking the more the merrier!!! Again, good luck.

deadminnowcatcher

They decided to wait till morning. there will be 4 of them tracking. they would have more if it were not pheasant opener. I will post what they find.

fishermn

Good luck! In my experience, they will usually bed down within 100 yards as long as you dont do something to push them further. As mentioned by others waiting overnight in this situation is definitely the best bet. You will probably find him not too far from where he was last seen.

tunrevir

Any luck with finding him? Had a doe that was feeding along last night and just about the time I let fly she stepped forewards and I got a smelly arrow. She went about 40 yards and bedded. I jumped her up an hour later and almost got a second arrow into her but she ran off and stopped about 60 yards away. At that point I backed off and decided to wait till this morning to find her. She went about another 60 yards and keeled over. Best to back off with a paunch hit and wait till morning. I was lucky that she didn't run further last night. The rain made for some real interesting tracking this morning. She is now cooling her heels in the garage. Good luck, I hope you find it. Water seems to draw those gut shot deer if there is any nearby, check it out.

Tunrevir~

harvey lee

I will agree with the water.I have seem numerous gut shot deer head for a water source.I would without a doubt leave it until morning as you will only push it further.

I have tried to find them a few hours later only because I cannot let it lay until morning due to many coyotes.

If possible I would wait at least 5 -7 hours.

deadminnowcatcher

we were unable to find the deer. we waited till morning and found a very light blood trail it crossed a river and we found a spot of blood where it went up the bank on the other side. This area is full of thickets. could not find any other blood. I checked the rive in both directions and nothing. also searched around in thickets and nothing. I would bet it was in the thickets somewhere but we could not locate it

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• papadarv
      Out Saturday afternoon doing some sight fishing with my camera on one of Chisago County lakes. Water was a bit dirty and with 26 inches of ice camera clarity was a bit lacking. Did get some nice video of the afternoon. Battery augers failed after a couple of holes so went with the Eskimo gas. Lots of fish above the weeds in 10 FOW.  EazyCam site fishingHB.mp4
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      Weather forecast looks to be consistent starting Wednesday with average temps in the  mid 20's. Consistency typically good.  Right now anglers are working fish hard and putting fish in the pail. Electronics are playing a huge roll as some walleyes suspended as far as 10 feet below the ice. Most resorts are out in 31' with some in a touch shallower. More saugers in deep mud with walleyes shallower. Reefs to the west also productive with a few perch being pulled in as well. Rattle and flutter action spoons doing well. Gold, pink, and other glow colors best.  Pike already active in shallow water.  Auger extension needed if fishing on your own with 3+ feet of ice in most areas.  Snowmobilers stay on marked trail, big ice chunks off of trail. Ice houses allowed to be left on lake through March 31st, walleyes open through April 14, pike all year.   Rainy River pushing out some bigger walleyes in the morning/evening with an occasional sturgeon.  Local fish houses along the snowmobile trail from Wheeler's Point to Baudette Bay.  Morning, evening bite most effective.   The NW Angle continues to put nice fish in the bucket. Walleyes and saugers in good numbers.  20-24' early and late, 26-30' during day.  In Ontario waters, crappies in deeper holes of 28-32' on light tackle set ups. Mortality rate is high for released crappies in 25' or deeper, catch fish and move on.  Walleyes all over!  Snowmobile trails on and around the lake are marked and groomed.  
    • mrpike1973
      Hi all hope to make it this Saturday. Depending on the snow coming we should be able to drive on correct?
    • Hoey
      This past weekend, only two were caught by our group of three fishermen and they were small, in the 10" range.  
    • Hoey
      Why not go out of Swift?  I nothing about the Warroad access, sorry.  
    • Hoey
      OK - we made it back!!!  Every trip is different with it's own potential perils.   I finally got into my house on Friday around 11am.  My guests were rookies, so i spent time with each of them, getting setup, heaters started, Vexilars set, houses banked, lines prep'd and set, bait, etc...  The bite was somewhat slow and many small ones.  The day got better 3 to 430pm.  Ended up with 6 nice eyes (19, 18x3, 17x2), 13 jumbos (most ever for a day), 12 small sauger which we ate for dinner.   On Saturday we headed up to the south shore of the Angle, longer ride, so again did not get started too early.  Ended up with our 6 eyes for our limit, these ranged from 15 to 16 inches and a 4-pack of sauger.  Again the bite seemed to pickup at 3 or so and was done by 430pm.   Ice as 3 foot or so.  Snow depth varied a lot, depending on the condition of the ice.  Smooth areas were blown off to crusty 6 inches or so.  Rough ice surely held a lot of snow.   The drive back on Sunday was somewhat tough from Baudette to Emily, winter storm warning.  Slow go, low visibility, and icy roads, sometimes down to 15 mph.   Next scheduled trip is with my wife, son, and three of his Gopher swim teammates for spring break in three weeks.  
    • Naturboy
      Those were caught from a shallow lake (17’) in 9 feet of water at the bottom of the first shoreline break. I was using a UV buckshot and minnow head since the water was murky. The crappie is still swimming the walleye not so much. I didn’t get the exact location. Sorry  
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge
    • JBMasterAngler
      On the Bayfield side of the bay, the target depth is typically 10 to 40 ft. The basswood island area is where they go after lakers. There’s a plowed road that goes out there. As of last week the ice was about 20 inches in that area, might be thicker now. Check out the Bayfield webcam, you can see what kind of activity is going on.
    • Jarrid Houston
      Wanderer, stop in at the River Rock bait shop in Ashland and they will get you pointed in the right direction.  They are always pretty cool about that.  Fishing near Ashland off of 2nd landing can be good.  Don't need nothing more than regular walleye gear, and some tip-ups and really there is no rhyme or reason where a guy should set up shop. Its a pretty wide open water and the fish that live there are always on the move. For us, most often, the sit and wait pays off.  It has been slower as of late, but still some fish..  Good luck, JH
  • Share & Have Fun