• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best MN County-Big Bucks

Sportland_Bait

If you could choose anywhere to chase big bucks in MN, where would you like to hunt? What area of the state has the biggest bucks year in and year out? Which county would be best to set up a deer camp?

Jason Erlandson

not me! i know alot of people that let me hunt on their land around and in the county. im sure ill get a real monster but you never know, thats why bow hunting is a challenge. so far ive seen many huge bucks but just passed them up because theres something way bigger then what ive seen.

I'll 3rd that one

I cant speak for many counties up north not sure what county it's in but most of my relatives hunt near the falls and they shoot some real nice bucks except 1 he seems to shoot the same fork horn every year

jbtwins

Heck you have some of the best deer hunting in Mn down in that area.???? Do you get over run with hunters during the gun season like whitewater area

Ottertail is the last dang place I would go to get a good buck.... wink.gif

lawdog

Just follow BLB then go south 75 yards and east about 25 yards i have a stand all set up.Just outa reach of his trail cam and bow range

I think i just gave up the county on my 1st post

tjm

i would have to say its some of the best, ive hunted up in crosby because i have land up there and its good but not good enough to hunt for another yr. down here, theres huge bucks everywhere. gun season is way to easy for me so i dont hunt it, anybody can point a gun and kill a deer, not that many people can shoot a bow and kill a deer. its just more of a challenge. then again, i have to find some other place to hunt if i really want a challenge, down here its just way to easy to hunt. ive been passing up deer left and right.

Anyplace where there are bluffs and crops can grow large whitetail deer. So Houston, Winona, Wabasha, etc....

That is a tough one. I have lived in the Metro and seen one of the buggest bucks I'd ever seen standing right off the highway heading into Hopkins. I thought it was a yard ornament until it started walking around. He must have thought the yard was a sancuary. Last night (with new snow) on the ground decided to head out for the evening. Seen a 10 pt walk across one of my shooting lanes at 80 yards. Started grunting and had two tall 6 pts come out following the 10. They stood there looking up and down the lane for five minutes. I was surprised to see them still bachlored up. Right before dark there was a car that drove by on a dirt road and kicked up a lot of dust. While the dust was settling I spotted something coming out to a power-line. This guy was huge. Granted I only had about five minutes of day light left so I grunted to him but he was a tad to smart for my immatations call. I tried to focus him in with my camera but 150 yards is a long way out in the bush. I'm sure he was pushing 160+ class and just guessing 250lb+. I do happen to have tomorrow off from work and will plant my butt down near the trail he came out on. The Summit Vipor will give me a few more options to try and arrow this guy. Oh by the way this is in St louis county. River bottom buck will be my choice. Can't wait until tomorrow AM. Weather is to continue snowing until Sunday. Good luck to all!!!!

Back to the question at hand. Buck or Buck(s)? I would say your in a pretty good area already Jason to see big bucks. St. Louis County has some big bucks, but I would say you have a better chance to see multiple big bucks right where your at. I know a few people who hunt in that area and a little north of you and evey year their groups are tagging some really nice bucks.

On the land that I bowhunt I've seen quite a few sixes but my wife and her family have seen some monsters. There is some decent hunting right here in the Brainerd area but sometimes it is very difficult to get access with so many rifle hunters. I like to hunt areas with a nice mix of crops and woods. There aren't a whole lot of farms up in this area, mostly forest land. Mostly I was just curious to see where ones best chance of scoring on a record book buck would be. I understand big bucks can be shot almost anywhere in this state as long as you put in your time and work hard to set up in the right area. How many of you hunt public land and score on big deer?

Jason Erlandson

I can't find it in P&Y or B&C's web site, but I remember at a P&Y convention in Madison they had a hand out of the countys with the most entries and by far Morrison had the most.

i think it's a tie between houston and winona county, i've seen some giants down here!

fillmore county is pretty good to, actually southeastern minnesota in general is the best place to bag a buck of a lifetime tongue.gif

biglake - you can't be serious? There are some beauties hanging out in OT County. I've only hunted Otter Tail 9 years and have seen a lot better bucks than I did hunting 12 yrs in SE MN. Maybe it's the area I'm hunting, but there are a lot of big bucks shot in OT county each year. Remember the monster taken during muzzy season last year by New York Mills?

Notice the winking smiley in my post Cabinboy.....

My second home is OTC man! It would be my first home if the wife would dig it and I could get the right job up there. frown.gif

Perfect, I kind of figured that, just had to check. No doubt that good paying jobs are hard to find up here. Nice place to live if you like the outdoors, and have a little extra $$$ to support the habits. Only bad thing is deciding what to do this time of year - fish or hunt? Decisions, decisions!! confused.gif

Goto the library and look at the MN Sportsman magazine. This months issues was concerning where the most bucks are shot and next month they will have an article on where the best spot is to shoot big bucks!!

I think in general you can say the best big buck spots are areas with lower hunting pressure and adequate cover, bucks have a better chance to survive.

Are you sure....??? wink.gif I heard something about about a nice one being taken with a muzzleloader last year?

buck.jpg

wink.gif Nope, nothing to see here, move along... grin.gifwink.gif

That WAS a great looking buck, with an interesting story to boot. I have had one picture of a huge 8 pointer this year, and a couple of other decent bucks. Not much on the cams lately, though.