Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
18 inch Crappie

Anyone install Gas fireplaces?

7 posts in this topic

Building a new house and looking at putting in a fireplace but the builder wants $4800 I seen just the fireplace for $800-$1400 Looking for a side job or just info on doing it myself? bgross1785@msn.com

Brian

Your not real clear on what he's charging you for, if the 4800 is for just setting the FP inplace and putting the chimney on and out the roof/wall, flashed, thats high.

if that cost includes the above and building the chase and finishing it up to the ceiling etc, drywall/wood/cultured stone, and a mantle/hearth, then its close, depending upon how involved you want it.

they are not that difficult to do if your handy and follow instructions, its the finishing of it that can be challenging and costly.

I bought mine direct for about $900, had a HVAC guy run the gas, hook it up, vent it out for about $300.00. I finished the outside with cultured stone hearth and surround for about $900.00 in material and my own labor.

Ask the builder for a breakdown of the costs. Most builders make alot of money off upgrades/change orders. Trust me I worked for a medium builder for 5 years and we usually marked up items about 50-75% like what you are talking about...But like the guy before me said, depends on what is figured and to what extent.

I was looking at doing just what you did. Where did you get the fireplace?

I basically did the same thing. Purchased the fireplace, looked around for the best sale/deal. Framed the corner surround. Set and vented. Then had HVAC pro run the gas line. Added tar paper, wire mesh, cast river stone and log mantle. I think I came in under $2000.

First time shot at it and it turned out halfway decent. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Where did you get the fireplace? I think I got every thing else. Just looking for a great deal on a 36" 0 clearence fireplace.

Fireside corner, which I think is Minnesota Hearth and Home...