Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Rattle?

15 posts in this topic

My dad said he saw two nice bucks sparing in the back yard the other day --

Do you think we should be using rattle calls this time of the year? Some say this is too early.

I shot a nice buck last week, 8 pts, 16in. inside spread, dressed 170, that I rattled in. He wouldn't respond to my grunts so I used my rattle bag. I just rolled it real light like some sparring and this buck came like he was on a string! He wasn't coming my way so I had nothing to lose by trying!

Nice jog, congrats on the deer, way to be resouceful. Pics??

My son watched two bucks spar this past weekend in North Dakota.They are getting ready to rumble.

I did a little scouting.. in an area that usually has some pretty decent buck sign... I heard some noise over a hill and saw a small buck fawn mounting up a doe... so some part of the rut is starting to happen... I didn't see much for rubs and or scrapes yet however.

this time of year the bucks are still just sparing. if you rattle; use just a lite tickling of the horns or rattle bag to simulate light sparing. then exspect the buck/bucks to kind of sneak in, instead of charging like they may later on.in a couple more weeks or so, then one can start with the crashing of antlers. grin.gifsome rubs are finally starting to show up down here. this cool weather should stir things up some.

As far as the rubs,I have seen them for the past two weeks in the Dakotas.This past weekend there were a few more new ones.

Still seeing the bucks in thier bachelor groups.

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing- bucks with bucks still. I'm sure the smaller bucks will start chasing does pretty soon, but the big fellers will wait for at least a couple weeks. I'm also sure the smaller bucks will be sparring lightly like DD said (although I haven't seen this yet this year). I'll start carrying my horns with me when I head for the stand- never hurts to try for a buck that wouldn't otherwise come within range.

Tuesday afternoon i'm going to get a heavy set of antlers out and do some heavy hitting in an area i dont hunt much.Kinda wanna see how far along things actualy are at the moment.Should keep those forky studs from attempting a peak at whats around the tree

Anyone down around south central Mn wanna have a go give me a shout.I'm going to try this wed afternoon as well in another area but add a couple decoys

I'll do the grunt work and you shoot um up

when and where tjm...always up to be the shooter

This cold snap should really help move things along. I am excited.

E-mail me walleye leave a phone number

tjm

alaskan

at yahoo

I'm headed out probly until sunday but i'll have a computer to check my mail.More then welcome to hook up with me and another guy.works better with 2 shooters and 1 grunt man.Were throwing all the gear in the trailer and headed out.probly start out near waseca and head east south from there for a couple days.Then head north up 56 to cannonfalls area over to lakeville down home on sunday.

So if your in this area wanna go jump aboard.I can let ya know when and where we'll be at anyday your available

Looking at geting some good pics i hope.Maybe even call a nice buck in or 2.Weather change should bring out the best in the bucks.Were headed out around 3pm today

TJM hope you don't mind I shot you an email. It sounds like your going to be up in the Lakeville area hunting maybe we can hook up and do a little hunting and video taping.

probly sat or sunday.You can go along if we only have the 2 of us.No problem i'll call ya on fri to make plans if ya left a phone number in my mail

Sound like a good time and I left my # in the email.