• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskie rigs

OK, I have recently started fishing for muskies after I hooked into a 40 inch tiger muskie while fishing for walleyes. I am seeing a lot of controversy over a single hook sucker rig. I agree that this is not a good situation to have a hook swallowed first and then setting the hook. I understand that the "quick strike rigs" are the solution, however isn't it illegal to have more then one hook on a live bait rig in Minnesota? If so, this law needs to change for this exact reason.

Hi Brad,

You are right on, the quick strike rig is the solution. In Minnesota you have to have a spinner blade on the quick strike rig within 2 inches of the hook to make it legal. Yes, it's a silly law and it's being worked on as we speak.

The use of the quick strike rig is strongly encouraged. Far better for the fish and a greater hookup percentage for the angler. It's really a win/win situation. Thorne Bros in Fridley carries them, they'll set you up.

Good luck!

This is a very controversal question.. and I am not trying to start a controversy.

Yes, single hooks are prone to being swallowed if the fish is allowed to take the bait too long... its heavily determined on how the fisherman goes about setting the hook after a strike.. If you let them run for a minute, that hook is going to be deep.

On the other hand, quick strike rigs have a lot of hooks and they do tend to tear the mouth of the fish up, and anything near the mouth(gill plates, eyes, etc).. so its a trade off. Its also harder to remove a quick strike rig than it is a single hook most of the time.

I used to fish live bait for muskies regularly for about 5 years. I had many several fish days(especially this time of year). I dont think I have had more than 3 fish swallow the hook, and one of them was a walleye swallowing a decoy(go figure). If you set the hook early and miss the fish, most of the time it was a small fish.

Single hooks are humain to use for live bait presentations. Its up to the fishermen to set the hook before the fish swallows the bait. If you are using a large sucker.. set the hook, those fish have big mouths. If your using a decoy.. anything more than 10 seconds is longer than nessessary. Hook placement in your bait will be an important factor. If you hook the bait under the dorsal, or in the tail section, it will take a long time for the fish to get the minnow too deep(decoy size minnows).

Another option is circle hooks. I have had good results with them under a bobber. Its still not impossible for fish to swallow them if you let a fish take the bait too long. But, a circle hook will always be in the corner of the mouth if its not swallowed making for very easy hook removal, and minimal damage to the fish.

Think of it this way with any type of fish.. what tears fish up more, a rapala, or a plain hook? I guarantee after a couple fish with the rapala, your going to have some issues with excessively hooked fish.

I had read an article about using a single circle hook in the mouth of the sucker for marchetty about a year or so ago. The results were mixed. The article did say that several of the fish were hooked deep, but the vast majority were hooked in the corner of the mouth and were released without any harm.

The fact is that a quick strike rig or any other hook style has the potential to damage fish. Utiliizing the quick strike or circle hooks at least demonstrates that a fisherman has put some thought into the healthy release of a fish. I think that is all we can ask of fisherman. The goal is to release your fish unharmed, but unfortunately that just doesnt happen every time no matter how careful we are.

It is very similar to hunting. A hunter can only take shots that are high percentage and kill 99% of the deer quickly. However, even the best of hunters have a bullet hit a hidden twig or have a deer jump the arrow and result in a bad hit. We have to try to do our best and that is all we can hope for.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.