Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
EatSleepFish

Rattling!

EatSleepFish

the pre-rut is nearly here and i have been ancy about rattling for awhile now, but i have a few questions to ensure a successful hunt.

Question #1- what time of day is best for rattling?

#2- should i throw in some grunts while rattling?

#3- in your experiences how long should i rattle and how long of a interval between sessions.

Thanks!

Deitz Dittrich

#1- obviously low light is when the deer are moving the most and you have the best chance of catching a deer moving through...but I dont think there is ever a bad time to rattle... maybe if there is a deer in sight or right under your stand.. that would be a bad time. blush.gif

#2 Sure, I'm not sure how much grunting I would do while rattling.. but a few right when you are done might not be bad.

#3 usually not very long... the battle dont usually last too long.. I have had the chance to see a few, VERY COOL!!! and none of them lasted much longer than about 15-20 secconds.. then the smaller of the deer got run off...

Anyone else?.. what has worked for you?

96trigger

Soft contact grunts initially,

Then 20 to 30 seconds of rattling,

Then a pretty definitive grunt after that,

Repeat approx every 20 min, I've had deer come in on the run, but never anything big enough to shoot. But I've only rattled the last couple of years. This doesn't work well if you see deer in a field. Deer get spooky when they hear deer noises and don't see deer.

roosterslayer

also dont rattle too hard, this time of year the bucks are not fighting hard core. So in my opinion the best time that i have found was cold, crisp, and still mornings. i rattle softly for maybe 20 seconds and then some soft grunts. the reason i like the still morning with little breeze is if a buck shows up you can really hear him good in the leaves and sometimes you can hear the grunts that he puts off before you see him.

Scoot

I generally rattle for 30 seconds to one minute, wait a couple minutes and repeat. I like to start soft, work up to a fairly aggressive clashing of antlers, then cool back down to a little softer tickling of antlers. I usually have my first sequence of rattles be softer than my second. I've had great luck rattling- shot several deer doing it. I've had little success with it until about mid October, though.

My biggest buck I've ever shot came while rattling. I shot him from 2-3 yards while on the ground. He came in hot and was really mad and looking for a fight- hair up on his neck, foot stompin', and aggressively looking for the dudes who were scrappin' in his territory. It was really cool.

slimngrizzly

I ALWAYS rattle after Oct. 25. I use 70" mule deer antlers and I beat them so hard they smoke. I usually only go for about 30 seconds or so, otherwise you cant hear one coming in. Ive rattleed in 2 150"+ bucks and many others mostly from Halloween to Nov.8. Sometimes they charge in wrecking everything, sometimes they run the other way, you take a risk that the deer is in the mood. I always grunt hard and snort wheez before the fight. Decoy is good to have too, takes thier eyes off you.

Try it, it can work awsome! Just dont expect results All time. A good response does not happen often, but its worth it when it does.